Cost: £180 *
*Concessions may be available
This six-session evening course focuses on the art of storytelling in documentary film.
Each session will include discussions of how theoretical concepts relate to formal considerations in documentary filmmaking - keeping the balance between the theory of practice and the theory in practice.
It runs over six Wednesdays, 6:30 to 9pm, and is delivered using classroom-based interactive lectures.
This course is run by the Open City Docs School, based in UCL's Department of Anthropology.
The following content is an example of what will be covered, but is only indicative.
- Documentary elements
- Soviet montage and conceptual watching
The poetic documentary
- Spatial and emotional impact of shot sizes
- The immersive actuality of continuity
- The observational documentary
- Character profiling through interviews
- The function of cutaways
- The interactive documentary
- Participatory documentary formats
- Brecht and defamiliarising the audience
- The reflexive documentary
- The hybrid documentary
- Memory, identity and rhetoric through the archive
- The expository documentary
- Narrative structure: story and plot
- Narrative point-of-view and subjectivity
- Documentary comedy and distantiation
- Parody and reflexivity
- The mockumentary
- The investigative documentary comedy
Who this course is for
This course is targeted towards:
- documentary practitioners who are either preparing, shooting or editing their documentary
- scholars who want to analyse or write about documentaries
- anyone who is simply passionate about non-fiction films
There are no pre-requisites required to apply for this course.
Cost and concessions
This course fees are:
- £180 - full price
- £160 - students
- £150 - UCL students
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Dr Catalin Brylla
Catalin is practice-led film scholar and Senior Lecturer in Film at the University of West London.
Course information last modified: 14 Feb 2019, 11:22