This programme will help you develop your confidence and leadership skills. It'll enable you to improve your ability to lead, manage change and develop people within your team.
You'll explore your current leadership skills, set goals for building on these, and learn new leadership skills.
The programme is for current middle leaders in education with some experience of the role.
Topics covered include:
- different leadership styles
- change management
- dealing with challenging behaviour
- self and team motivation
You'll have the opportunity to reflect on your team performance and seek ways to improve it. You'll also have excellent networking opportunities.
Supported by the latest research, this programme is designed to increase your professional knowledge and understanding. This will have a positive impact on your leadership behaviour and will benefit your school and leadership team.
You'll need to attend three full days and a final twilight session at UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
This programme is level two in a suite of programmes designed for school leaders. You'll be taught by curriculum experts from the London Centre for Leadership in Learning (LCLL) at UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
Who this course is for
You should be a current middle leader in a school with the responsibility of leading a team, for example:
- a key stage leader
- a curriculum area leader
- a pastoral services leader
- a subject leader
- a head of department
The programme is delivered over two terms and content includes:
- Day one: Where are you now? - leadership values, differences between leadership and management, implications of leadership styles, how motivation affects leadership, making judgements, personal organisation, coaching
- Day two: Where would you like to be? - motivations of self and others, emotional intelligence, practice coaching skills, change management, strategies to overcome barriers to change and challenge behaviours
- Day three: How will you get there? - high performing teams, stages of team development, applying trust to delegation, reflect on the performance of your team, plan future development pathways
- Final twilight - present action research, learning conversation
Vie the programme flyer (pdf) for further details.
You'll attend face-to-face sessions and will carry out inter-sessional tasks between the leadership days, which span two terms.
Throughout the programme you'll carry out a small-scale action research project and present this in a learning conversation at the end of the programme.
Certificates and assessment
You'll receive a certificate of completion at the end of the programme.
You have the option of gaining 30 Master's-level credits towards an IOE Master’s degree. For this, you'll need to complete an additional assignment and pay an additional ‘top up’ fee to cover this. Information about this option will be provided at the start of the programme.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- deepened your understanding of your role in leading learning
- increased your ability to lead, manage, motivate and develop people in your team
- developed your confidence in having difficult conversations
- planned for your own personal leadership development
Book a place
The programme has summer, autumn and spring cohorts. Contact the course administrator for further details of start dates.
Other programme delivery options
Schools, collaboratives and local authorities
programme can be run on-site for schools, groups of schools, local
authorities and multi-academy trusts. Contact the course administrator
for costs and more information.
international schools and groups of schools the programme can be run at
your overseas venue - contact the course administrator for costs and
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
“Excellent facilitators. Challenging and stimulating material - gave me lots of ideas to go away with.”
“The overall programme was well researched and delivered by brilliant facilitators who were inspiring. Very informative.”
“Excellent ideas and new knowledge shared and practiced. Really engaging and interesting session. Thank you.”
“This course has changed my whole approach to work and leadership. The resources and the way it was delivered was excellent.”
"Superb delivery from the trainers, really inspiring! Loved the real life examples, liked the practical activities to rehearse new knowledge.”
Course information last modified: 09 Oct 2018, 10:08