This course will help you improve your understanding and use of English grammar and speak and write more accurately and effectively.
It's open to anyone with an academic interest or background whose main language is not English.
Each week you'll attend a two-hour class. The course runs over eight weeks.
Classes are limited to a maximum of 20 students.
This course is run by the UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE).
This course aims to:
- provide a grammar course to build on existing knowledge
- develop your awareness of the key systems and patterns in English grammar
- help you improve your accuracy and effectiveness in writing and speaking through guided practise and tutor feedback
Who this course is for
This course is for non-native English speakers.
It's suitable for:
- undergraduate and postgraduate students at UCL or another university
- staff / researchers at UCL or another academic institution
You should have an upper-intermediate to advanced level of English (IELTS 6 or above).
The course will cover (subject to course participants’ needs):
- Use of definite and non-definite article
- Use of generic and specific nouns
- Using noun phrases instead of clauses and forming complex noun phrases
- The meanings of modal verbs
- Expressing conditionality
- Word formation (affixes)
- Reviewing dependent prepositions
- Expressing causality and sentence structure
- Changing emphasis in a sentence
- Qualifying comparisons: showing similarities and differences
- Indirect statements and questions; noun clauses
Teaching and structure
Classes are two hours long and are held once a week, for eight weeks.
The course will include certain spoken and written activities and exercises linked to the needs of students in the class.
You'll be given self-study exercises based on the areas of grammar covered in class.
While enrolled, you'll have access to online self-study resources and the extensive Self Access Centre (SAC) for further self-study support.
You can request a certificate of attendance if you attend at least 80% of classes.
Cost and concessions
The standard fee is £235.
The cost for UCL students is £185.
The course runs several times a year, beginning in October, January and May.
The term dates for 2018/19 are:
- 8 October to 7 December 2018 (term 1)
- 21 January to 22 March 2019 (term 2)
- 29 April to 28 June 2019 (term 3)
In term 2, you can attend this course on either:
- Mondays, 5 to 7pm
- Tuesdays, 5 to 7pm
Updated information on which days and times the course will be running is available in the timetable on the UCL CLIE website.
How to enrol
To enrol you'll need to complete the online application form. You'll then need to pay (by card or cash) either in person or over the phone by calling the EAP team on 020 7679 8665.
You can only enrol during the set enrolment periods:
- 3 to 6 December 2018, 4 to 5pm, and 9 to 16 January 2019, 3 to 5pm (for term 2)
- 18 to 21 March, 4 to 5pm, and 23 to 26 April, 3 to 5pm (for term 3)
Rights and responsibilities
UCL Centre for Languages & International Education seeks to ensure that all students have a positive experience in respect of courses taken here, and fully adheres to the broader rights and responsibilities policies of UCL.
As part of our responsibility, we seek to ensure that courses follow a logical structure consistent with delivering the content and skills practise that we advertise, but with the freedom for teachers to respond (via needs analysis at the beginning of a course) to further, relevant areas of particular interest or shared concern to each student group.
If you have any questions during your course about the content or focus of your classes, please speak to your class tutor, or contact the Course Co-ordinator, Daphne Thomas, in Room 115, 26 Bedford Way. Email: email@example.com
Our language teachers
You'll be taught by qualified and experienced English for Academic Purposes (EAP) staff.
Course information last modified: 03 Dec 2018, 09:45