Library service information updates.
Updated 1 March 2021.
Essential information on our services can be found in the Library Essentials guide and across our website. Please note that we may have to make changes to our services at short notice due to restrictions required by the UK Government or UCL. Service changes will be announced here.
The following library services are currently available. All other library sites are closed and onsite services suspended.
Changes to open hours and building closures are listed below.
- Bookable study spaces in the Student Centre, Royal Free Medical Library, 1-19 Torrington Place, Ramsay Hall and Bidborough House - see Opening Hours. Please note that only staff and medical students working and studying at the Royal Free are permitted to access the Royal Free Hospital Medical Library at present.
- Click and Collect service from the Science Library (for Main and Science Library books) and the Institute of Education Library. Also a limited Stores Service.
- Scan and Send service for material held at the Bartlett Library, Cruciform Hub, Institute of Archaeology Library, Institute of Education Library, Main Library, Royal Free Hospital Medical Library, School of Pharmacy Library, Science Library and SSEES Library.
- Online resources and Library Help Services.
Libraries and study spaces
Some of our libraries are open for UCL students and staff and NHS members. Please check individual Opening Hours. If you wish to use a study space this will need to be booked before visiting each library - please see our Bookable Study Spaces Help webpage for further details. NHS members should visit our separate NHS seat booking page.
You must check-in within 30 minutes of the start time of your booking. If you do not check-in your booking will be released for other students or staff to use.
Changes to opening hours
- Bidborough House is now open at weekends.
- The UCL Institute of Education Library is open for Click & Collect only, Monday - Friday.
- The UCL Science Library is open for Click and Collect only, for Science Library and Main Library books.
- See our Opening Hours for the latest details.
Click and Collect service
Books can be requested from a number of sites via our Click and Collect service, which is available to a wider range of user groups. Please see our Membership information pages for details of eligibility for our services.
We continue to offer online support during our staffed hours of operation.
Scan and Send service
If you cannot come on site to collect books, please use our Scan and Send service, which complements the Click and Collect service. This allows UCL students and staff to request copies of journal articles and book chapters to be scanned and emailed to them directly.
We are committed to keeping all staff and customers safe. We have introduced a range of measures including cleaning rotas, social distancing, one-way systems, special book handling procedures, quarantining of materials and provision of hand sanitiser and wipes. Please follow the signs and rules when visiting our library sites, and wear a face covering or mask at all times on campus. Please see UCL’s Keeping Safe on Campus pages for more information.