Indexes and abstracts
- MathSciNet : produced by the American Mathematical Society and covers mathematical literature worldwide since 1940.
- Zentralblatt MATH : a European database with international coverage back to 1868.
- Web of Science (Science Citation Index) indexes over 6000 science journals from 1981 onwards.
- arXiv - open access e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative Biology, Quantitative Finance and Statistics.
The library holds both print and electronic journals (periodicals). Journals cannot be borrowed but may be photocopied, subject to copyright. Mathematical journals are kept in the MATHEMATICS Pers section on the third floor of the Science Library. Older journals and those which are also available electronically are held in the library store. These can be requested via the Store Request Form and will be available the next day.
Use Explore to search for journals.
For further information see Finding journals.
The Mathematics collection is on the 3rd floor of the Science Library in the MATHEMATICS book collection.
MATHEMATICS D - number theory
MATHEMATICS E - algebra
MATHEMATICS G - geometry
MATHEMATICS H - topology
MATHEMATICS K - analysis
MATHEMATICS N - numerical analysis
Additionally, multiple copies of text books which appear on undergraduate reading lists have been placed together in a separate collection at the end of the main sequence. These books are shelved at MATHEMATICS TXBK.
Use Explore to find the exact class mark (shelf location) of a book.
Some of the other sections of the Library you might find useful:
- STATISTICAL SCIENCES (Science Library, 3rd floor)
- PHYSICS (Science Library, 3rd floor)
- ENGINEERING (Science Library, 4th floor)
- COMPUTER SCIENCE (Science Library, 3rd floor)
Software is also available for students (e.g. SAS, SPSS, Mathematica, Matlab, etc.).
Find out more about using other libraries, and links to other library catalogues.
The Institution of Structural Engineers Library is also open to all members of the UCL Engineering Faculty. The Library is located at 11 Upper Belgrave Street, London SW1X 8BH.
The Energy Institute library is free for members of the Energy Institute. The Energy Institute holds a comprehensive collection of published material on all aspects of the oil and other energy industries. The library is at 61 New Cavendish Street, London, W1G 7AR
The British Library is a useful resource and all UCL staff and students can apply directly for reference access. You will need to bring identification showing proof of address (e.g. utility bill), proof of signature (e.g. driving licence) and proof of student or research status (UCL ID card) in order to obtain a reader's pass.
There is also more information about using other libraries, and links to other library catalogues.
Regular training sessions on electronic library resources are held in the Library. For details see Information Skills Training. Individual training sessions on specific databases and other electronic resources can be arranged on request.
WISE for Built Environment, Engineering, Maths and Physical Sciences
This is an online guide to finding and using information effectively. Go to UCL Moodle, and log in with your UCL userid and password. Click on WISE and select Built Environment, Engineering, Maths and Physical Sciences to start the course.
- Research Support: Services for researchers includes access to resources, undertaking research, disseminating, evaluating & preserving research.
- Information on Open Access.
- UCL Discovery showcases UCL's research publications, giving access to journal articles, book chapters, conference proceedings, digital web resources, theses and much more, from all UCL disciplines.