UCL Main Library
- Opening hours
- Address and contact details
- Subject coverage and guides
- Disabled access
- Floor plans
- Self guided tour
- Address: Wilkins Building, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT
- Help Point: 020 7679 7792
- Account queries: email@example.com
- Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nearest tube stations: Euston, Euston Square, Goodge Street, Warren Street
- Other ways of getting in touch: Come in to the help point or reference desk and we'll be happy to help. You can also see our getting help webpages.
- Opening hours
The Main Library houses collections relating to the following subject areas:
The Main Library is located on the 1st floor of the Wilkins Building.
The easiest way to reach it is to enter the main UCL site via the Gower Street entrance, walk around the left hand side of the central portico and enter the door at the top of the ramp. Once inside, turn left and go through the door at the end of the small corridor. The library entrance and reception desk are to the right, adjacent to the Octagon.
Most floors and collections are now accessible from the lift installed next to the Library's main entrance. There are, however, a few parts of certain collections that remain difficult to access due to the nature of the Main Library buildings. For details of which collections are involved and how to make arrangements to over come any difficulties, please see Information for users with disabilities or contact the Library's Disabled Users' Officer, or phone 020 7679 7110.
Photocopying, Printing and Scanning
All photocopy, printing and scanning machines (MFDs) are located in the Main Help Point area and the Reference room. All visitors to the library can use the devices for copying. All copying is subject to copyright regulations.
Using the machines:
UCL staff and students need to present their UCL ID at the device to activate it. Credit can be added to your account using cask at the available kiosk.
All other visitors should obtain a log-in code and credit their account at the kiosk.
Staff and students should send printing to the printer named "print-ucl".
Cost of copying and printing:
- A4 black and white (single or double-sided) = 5p per sheet
- A4 colour (single-side) = 25p per sheet
- A4 colour (double-sided) = 40p per sheet
- A3 black and white (single or double-sided) = 10p per sheet
- A3 colour (single-side) = 50p per sheet
- A3 colour (double-sided) = 90p per sheet
Four combined DVD players (2 with VIDEO facilities) are available in the viewing room (including Region 1 and Blu-ray options) which can be accessed just to the right of the Help Point area; headphones are available for use within the room. Many DVD's are also available.
Computer Clusters are located in the following places:
- Reference Room opposite the Help Point
- Hebrew and Jewish Studies reading room
- Outside the Dutch reading room
We have a laptop loans service in the Main Library. Located in the Cluster Room on the First Floor and in the English section (on the left as you enter the room). Please ask staff if you need any assistance.
We have 18 lockers available to Postgraduate Students located in the Research Grid on the Second Floor of the Library. Lockers are available on a termly basis and can be requested by asking staff at the Main Library Help Point or by emailing email@example.com.
Please note more lockers are available in the Science Library.
Digital Microfilm Scanner
There is a digital microfilm scanner is available in the viewing room to the right of the Help Point area.
Inter Library Loans
The Main Library participates in the centralised inter library loans service.