Any research funded by research charities belonging to the Charity Open Access Fund (COAF) is required to comply with their open access requirements. Details are included here.
Six medical research charities belong to the Charity Open Access Fund (COAF):
- Arthritis Research UK,
- British Heart Foundation,
- Cancer Research UK,
- Parkinson's UK,
- the Wellcome Trust.
If your research is funded by any of these bodies, you must comply with their open access requirements (see below). For other medical funders, see our other funders page.
These funders prefer Gold open access and UCL receives funding from them to pay Gold fees. Papers funded by grants held at UCL are eligible to use these funds.
Provided your publisher complies with these funders' Gold requirements, you are strongly advised to choose this option. UCL has prepayment schemes with certain publishers; we pay others by invoice.
The policy requirements are set out below. For more information, or to request funding for Gold open access, complete this form.
|Conditions for Gold|
If your journal's Gold option does not meet these requirements, comply using Green open access:
- Your publisher must allow you to make your final accepted manuscript open access in Europe PubMed Central no later than six months after publication. Use Europe PMC plus to deposit your paper.
- You will also need to upload your manuscript to UCL's Research Publications Service (RPS) to comply with the REF open access policy. You should ideally deposit on acceptance, but no later than 3 months after first online publication.
- Some publishers (e.g. Nature, American Psychological Association) will deposit manuscripts in Europe PubMed Central for you - make sure that they know about the paper's funding at submission.
- Use the Wellcome book deposit form to self-archive Wellcome-funded books and book chapters.
Failure to comply may affect your funding: some funders withhold portions of existing grants, and refuse future funding, if papers do not comply.
For more information, contact the Open Access Team.