The UCL Main Library holds collections in Art, Economics, English, History, Humanities, Law, Modern Languages, Philosophy and Public Policy.
- Opening hours
- Address and contact details
- Subject coverage and guides
- Disabled access
- Floor plans
Bookable study spaces
- Address: Wilkins Building, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT
- Help Point: 020 7679 7792
- Account queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enquiries: email@example.com
- Nearest tube stations: Euston, Euston Square, Goodge Street, Warren Street
- Other ways of getting in touch: Come in to the Help Point or Reference Desk and we'll be happy to help. You can also see our getting help webpages.
- Opening hours
The Main Library houses collections relating to the following subject areas:
The Main Library is located on the 1st floor of the Wilkins Building.
The easiest way to reach it is to enter the main UCL site via the Gower Street entrance, walk around the left hand side of the central portico and enter the door at the top of the ramp. Once inside, turn left and go through the door at the end of the small corridor. The library entrance and reception desk are to the right, adjacent to the Octagon.
Most floors and collections are now accessible from the lift installed next to the Library's main entrance. There are, however, a few parts of certain collections that remain difficult to access due to the nature of the Main Library buildings. For details of which collections are involved and how to make arrangements to over come any difficulties, please see Information for users with disabilities or contact the Library's Disabled Users' Officer, or phone 020 7679 7792.
Users of the library can familiarise themselves to general library resources and collections and make the most of all our services and facilities, with our self guided tours.
Photocopying, Printing and Scanning
All photocopy, printing and scanning machines (MFDs) are located in the Main Help Point area and the Reference room. All visitors to the library can use the devices for copying. All copying is subject to copyright regulations.
Using the machines:
UCL staff and students need to present their UCL ID at the device to activate it. Credit can be added to your account using cask at the available kiosk or online (for UCL students)
All other visitors should obtain a log-in code and credit their account at the kiosk.
Staff and students should send printing to the printer named "print-ucl".
Cost of copying and printing:
- A4 black and white (single or double-sided) = 5p per sheet
- A4 colour (single-side) = 25p per sheet
- A4 colour (double-sided) = 40p per sheet
- A3 black and white (single or double-sided) = 10p per sheet
- A3 colour (single-side) = 50p per sheet
- A3 colour (double-sided) = 90p per sheet
Four combined DVD players are available (including Region 1, Blu-ray options and 2 with VIDEO facilities). Headphones are available to borrow from the Help Point during staffed hours. The facilities are located in the English lobby - go to the end of the Literature corridor and turn left just before the wooden staircase.
The Library has a large collection of audio-visual material on the open shelves. Our Art AV collection is located in the Art section, to the right at the end of the Philosophy corridor (turn . Our main film and television collection is located in the Literature corridor (turn left as you reach the top of the entrance staircase).
Computer Clusters are located in the following places:
- Reference Room opposite the Help Point
- Hebrew and Jewish Studies reading room
- Outside the Dutch reading room
We have a laptop loans service in the Main Library. Located in the Returns Room on the First Floor and in the English section (on the left as you enter the room). Please ask staff if you need any assistance.
Digital Microfilm Scanner
There is a digital microfilm scanner available to use in the Reference Room, opposite the Help Point. Please ask staff at the Help Point if you would like to use it.
Regulations in the Main Library
Please respect quiet reading rooms and be mindful of other library users.
- Calls can only be taken or made in the Flaxman Gallery
Food and drink
- Cold snacks and sweets can only be eaten in the Flaxman Gallery
- Hot and cold drinks in containers with a lid or cap can be eaten anywhere in the Library
- Hot food is not allowed anywhere in the Library
You may be charged for cleaning if food residue is left on desks, chairs or floors.
- The Main Library is primarily for quiet study
- Reading places may not be reserved
For all other regulations, please see Library Regulations