Information about how Library Services supports sustainability.
The Library Services Sustainability Committee co-ordinates the department’s sustainability initiatives. We are committed to:
- promoting the most efficient use of energy in all areas of our operations
- reducing the waste of energy wherever possible
- reducing the amount of materials we use in doing our work
- reusing those materials that have outlived their original purpose wherever we can
- recycling as much of the used materials that cannot be reused as we can
- working with UCL the Estates and Facilities Division, and all other departments throughout UCL to ensure that we conduct our business in the most environmentally sustainable way that we can.
UCL Green Impact 2018 award winners in UCL Library Services
Library Services takes part in the annual UCL Green Impact (an environmental accreditation and awards scheme run by the National Union of Students) and has achieved an incredible level of success gaining 14 awards in the 2018 Green Impact Awards ceremony.
- 6 Gold awards - Central Library Services (departmental award); Main Library; Science Library; Language and Speech Science Library; Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health Library; Royal Free Hospital Medical Library
- 6 Platinum awards - Ophthalmology Library; Queen Square Library; Cruciform Hub; School of Pharmacy Library; Institute of Archaeology Library; Wickford Stores
- 2 Excellence awards - Eastman Dental Institute Library, Ear Institute and Action on Hearing Loss Libraries
In addition, the School of Pharmacy Medicinal Garden was granted a project award. Please see the School of Pharmacy Library website for further information
Other examples of activities across UCL Library Services include collecting for RNIB’s used stamp appeal, film screenings in SSEES Library, Royal Free Hospital Medical Library’s visit to Bywaters Recycling facility and LASS Library’s bug hotel.
Contacting the Library Services Sustainability Committee
Please contact the Chair of the Library Services Sustainability Committee if you have any questions or ideas for environmental sustainability in the Library, or would like to be involved in the Green Impact Scheme. We can make a difference if we all work together to create a greener UCL!