Kings Weston (Somerset)
Purchased 1st Jan 1833 £210,000 | Occupied 1st Jan 1833 - 19th Jul 1935
Kings Weston House now a privately owned Grade 1 listed Georgian Mansion House set in 28 acres of parkland.
See also Country Life Magazine, 26 November 2008
Current address info.: Bristol BS11 0UR
Image from Historic Houses Association
Kings Weston House. Designed by Sir John Vanbrugh for Edward Southwell (1671-1730) c.1710.
1832: when Edward Southwell, 21st Lord de Clifford, died without issue, the house sold in 1833 to Mr Philip John Miles for £210,000. He had purchased Leigh Court Estate and had the present mansion built there.
Philip William Skynner Miles (q.v.; Miles's eldest son by 2nd marriage), inherited Kings Weston while the eldest son by his first marriage, Sir William Miles, 1st Bt. (13 May 1797-17 Jun 1878), became the new owner of Leigh Court. (q.v.)
P. W. S. Miles financed the building of the railway and the docks at Avonmouth.
1865 his son and heir Philip Napier Miles born. He ‘was a gifted musician and composer and became a generous patron of music’.
On his death (19th July 1935 aged 70), P. N. Miles left no heir.
To pay death duties the Kings Weston Estate was auctioned for £9,800 and his widow had a house built in the grounds, now Kings Weston School.
From 1935-2001, various owners and uses. 2001 re-opened for show and as corporate events, marriages etc venue.
Sir John Vanbrugh