Mary Kellitt Hewitt
Profile & Legacies Summary
7th Mar 1795 - ????
Claimant or beneficiary
Awarded the compensation for Content Hall in St Elizabeth Jamaica.
- Daughter of William Kellett Hewitt who died at Duryard, Exeter Devon in 1812 aged 55, and Deborah Hewitt who died at Cashoo St Elizabeth in 1820 (both of whom q.v.). A William Hewitt of the Island of Jamaica married Mary Cornish at Exeter in 1807. Two William Hewitts of the Island of Jamaica matriculated Cambridge in 1803 and 1828: John Hewitt, 'o.s.' (given as 'only son' but possibly meaning 'oldest son') of William Killett [sic] Hewitt of the Island of Jamaica matriculated Worcester College Oxford 30/11/1820 aged 24.
- Vere Langford Oliver, Caribbeana being miscellaneous papers relating to the history, genealogy, topography, and antiquities of the British West Indies (6 vols., London, Mitchell, Hughes and Clarke, 1910-1919), Vol. 4 p. 40 for the inscription relating to William Kellett Hewitt of Cashoo; Vere Langford Oliver, Caribbeana being miscellaneous papers relating to the history, genealogy, topography, and antiquities of the British West Indies (6 vols., London, Mitchell, Hughes and Clarke, 1910-1919) Vol 3 p. 91 for a daughter (1799-1807) of Deborah Hewitt and William Kellitt of St Elizabeth, Jamaica. See ibid. p. 91 for the reference to John Hewitt, Ancestry.com, Oxford University Alumni, 1500-1886 [database online]. Ancestry.com, Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900 [database online] for the two William Hewitts (which posits that the two men were father and son, without any supporting evidence).
Associated Claims (1)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1820 [SY] - 1834 [LA] → Joint owner