Samuel Lyddall Schaw
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1778
Son and co-heir of James Schaw of Schawfield (q.v.).
- Will of Samuel Lyddall Schaw now [residing in the Kingdom of Great Britain but shortly] bound back to the island of Jamaica [made in 1777] proved 15/08/1778. In the will he rehearsed the will of his father which left the estate to his five sons subject to the dower of his wife. She had ceded the possession and management of the estate to Samuel Lyddall Schaw in exchange for an annuity of £400 currency p.a. Samuel Lyddall Schaw had also bought out the share of his younger brothers David and William for £2500 currency each. His will suggests that he intended to buy out his other brother[s] [later identified as Edward and Charles] on the same terms [although it is not clear he could force this through]. He left £1000 currency each to his brothers David and William and smaller legacies to his two married sisters; his residuary heirs were his brothers Edward and Charles.
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1771 [EA] - 1778 [LA] → Joint owner
One of the five sons and co-heirs of James Schaw of Schawfield, two of whom he [Samuel Lyddall Schaw] had bought out prior to his death c. 1778. He also acted as attorney in this period.
1781 [EA] - 1781 [LA] → Previous owner