Profile & Legacies Summary
1777 - 1844
Claimant or beneficiary
Thomas Dayrell 'of England' counterclaimed apparently without success for the compensation for the Bay and a second currently unidentified estate (for which the compensation was paid to Edward Lake Hinds) on Barbados.
- The death of a Thomas Dayrell was registered Q1 1844 at Bedminster, Somerset. Two children Beckles Dayrell and Catherine Hyndman Dayrell, whose forenames link the family firmly to the Caribbean, were baptised at Westbury-on-Trym in 1821 and 1823 respectively, the children of Thomas and 'Eloisa' or 'Eloiza' Dayrell [genealogical sources give the maiden name of the wife of Thomas Dayrell born Barbados 1777-1844 as Elvira Smith Cox]. In 1841 Thomas Dayrell 'Independent' aged 64 was living at Bedminster with Susanna (25); Sarah (20); Catharine (18) born in parish and Susannna Cox, presumably his mother-in-law, aged 78. Will of Thomas Dayrell [formerly of the island of Barbados] of Bedminster Somerset was proved 10/09/1844. He left small annuities to two women including Mrs Cox, but made no mention of his daughters in leaving his residuary estate in trust (his trustees were Henry Sealy (q.v.) and the teststor's son Henry Dayrell druggist of Bristol).
- Ancestry.com, England & Wales, Free BMD Death Index: 1837-1915 [database online]; Ancestry.com England and Wales Christening Records 1530-1906 [database online]; PROB 11/2004/336.
'Eloisa' or 'Eloiza' or 'Elvira' Smith Cox (1777-1844)
Associated Claims (2)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1817 [EA] - 1817 [LA] → Owner
It is possible that this is not the correct Thomas Dayrell though it seems likely that it was.
Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, Gloucestershire, South-west England, England
Bedminster, Somerset, South-west England, England