John Joseph James Alexander
Profile & Legacies Summary
Claimant or beneficiary
Unsuccessful claimant for ownership of 165 enslaved persons in St Lucia. Son of William Alexander and Elizabeth Motet Alexander (also given as Widow or Veuve Alexander).
- John Joseph James Alexander of the Island of St Lucia posted a bond in 1813 for his marriage with Mary Cullen of Bath. She was the widow of Robert Cullen, one of the Lords of Session in Scotland. She died in St Lucia in 1818.
T71/884 St Lucia claim no. 760; T71/1245 counterclaim for St Lucia no. 547 (Diamond estate).
- Ancestry.com, Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914 for John Joseph James Alexander [database online]; Scots Magazine Vol. 75 (1813) p. 798; Gentleman's Magazine Vol. 123 (1818) p. 569.
Associated Claims (2)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1825 [EA] - 1834 [LA] → Owner