Pulteney Hill

Estate Details

Associated People (1)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
1773 [SY] - 1773 [EY] → Owner


The original purchasers of Great River Division (St Mary parish) Lots no. 17, 18 and 19 in Tobago on 19/03/1767 were William Alexander (Lots no. 17 and 18) and Andrew Allon (Lot no. 19). These lots became Pulteney Hill estate. By 1773 it was owned by William Pulteney. Although the 'Present Possessor' was given as 'John M'Call and others' c. 1866, the estate does not appear under the name Pulteney Hill in the 1832 or 1862 lists of Tobago estates or in the slave compensation records.


'Tables showing the Lots in each Parish, numbered as originally granted - the original Grantee - the name of the Lot, or lots, if one has been acquired, and the present Possessor where there is one' and 'A Table, showing the Estates in cultivation in 1832, and their Owners, in 1832, copied from the list appended to Byres' map of that date, with those in cultivation in 1862', Henry Iles Woodcock, A History of Tobago (Ayr: Smith and Grant, 1867; new impression London: Frank Cass and Company Limited, 1971); John Fowler, A summary account of the present flourishing state of the respectable colony of Tobago in the British West Indies illustrated with a map of the island and a plan of its settlement, agreeably to the sales by his Majesty’s Commissioners (London: A Grant, 1774), pp. 42-43.