Estate Details

View in context on full map

Associated People (1)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
1820 [EA] - 1823 [LA] → Owner


Note that there appears to be no record of the Providence estate after this register entry. It does not for example appear in Barrallier's 1825 map. There is also no reference to Robert Reece's ownership in the Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations in the Barbados Department of Archives. However, note that William Reece (?-1835) owned Pilgrim Place and Gibbons plantations in Christ Church, Barbados and gave the land on which Providence Chapel stands. An estate called Providence was owned by William Welch who left it in 1818 with consent to sell it for the benefit of his wife and children: this was probably the same estate, given the movement in the number of enslaved people in the respective entries: it appears that by 1823 Robert Reece sold at least half the enslaved people whom he had bought before 1820. See BA 7646.

Estate Information (1)

What is this?

[Number of enslaved people] 49(Tot)  

Return of Robert Reece, his own property. Previously 107 enslaved. Changes in the numbers of enslaved since 1820 were:
Births: 9; deaths: 13; sold to William Reece (his brother): 58.

T71/529 753-4