Registration for MFL, EAP and BSL modules
How to register
YOU NEED TO COMPLETE ALL OF STEPS 1-5 BELOW* IN THE ORDER SHOWN; ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE REGISTERED AT THE CLIE WILL YOUR PORTICO CHOICE(S) BE APPROVED BY US AS THE TEACHING DEPARTMENT (after being amended if necessary).
- Online (Portico)* - as soon as permitted: select the most appropriate CLIE language module on Portico (along with your other modules), using the Module Catalogue there, or the course information here. Submit your selections as soon as possible (unless you have been advised otherwise), as we can always amend your selection later.
- Registration Form - complete a CLIE Language Modules 2019-2020: MFL Registration Form (also available from a CLIE language tutor or the Language Modules office). For our English for Academic Purposes modules please use the CLIE Language Modules 2019-2020: EAP Registration Form. For our BSL modules please complete the CLIE Language Modules 2019-2020: BSL Registration Form. Intercollegiate students must also complete and submit the UCL Intercollegiate Student Registration Form.
Interview with a language tutor - from FRIDAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2019 to WEDNESDAY 02 OCTOBER 2019: come to the CLIE for an informal interview with a language tutor for the language you wish to study, who will assess your level using a variety of methods, and sign your Registration Form. Times are shown below; no appointment is necessary.
You must have an interview before you can register even if you are a complete beginner or have previously taken a course unit at the CLIE.
BASc and IEP programme students: if you took and passed a language module at CLIE in 2018-2019 AND have not studied the language over the summer then you do not need to come for a language interview.
- Timetabling - from MONDAY 30 SEPTEMBER 2019 to WEDNESDAY 02 OCTOBER 2019: each CLIE module is scheduled around the availability of those students who register to take it; you therefore MUST attend the timetabling session for your course to have an input in when your class is scheduled. You will be given the time of your timetabling session at the interview with a language tutor. Note: there is only ONE timetabling session for each course. After Wednesday 02 October 2019 please come to the CLIE Language Modules Office (room 111) to discuss timetabling.
Submit your completed Registration Form - at the end of your timetabling session: submit your completed CLIE Language Modules 2019-2020: Registration Form to the CLIE staff members.
If you miss your timetabling session or are registering for a module with pre-scheduled classes please submit your registration form directly to the CLIE Language Modules office.
You will then be officially registered and we will approve your language course unit(s) on Portico* (after amending if necessary).
* Portico does not apply to intercollegiate students.
When to register
To register for a CLIE language module you must see a CLIE language tutor, who will determine your level and discuss timetabling with you.
CLIE language tutors will be available from Thursday 03 October to Friday 04 October 2019 10:00-17:00 (unless specified otherwise below) in the following locations in the CLIE at 26 Bedford Way.
- Arabic– B07 (basement)
- Dutch – B09 (basement): Thursday 03 October 12:00-14:30; Friday 04 October 11:30-14:00
- French– G06a (ground floor) EXCEPT for Thursday 03 October 10:00-13:00 in room G06c
- German– B09 (basement)
- Italian– B09 (basement)
- Japanese– B07 (basement)
- Mandarin– B07 (basement)
- Spanish– G06c (ground floor)
- Portuguese– B09 (basement): Thursday 03 October 13:00-17:00; Friday 04 October 10:00-13:00.
- English for Academic Purposes– 115 (first floor): 11:00-12:00 and 14:00-15:00
- British Sign Language– Thursday 03 October 2019 10:00-11:00 in room G06a (ground floor).
Each CLIE module is scheduled around the availability of those students who register to take it; you therefore must attend the timetabling session for your course to have an input in when your class is scheduled. You will be given the time of your timetabling session at the interview with a CLIE language tutor.
All CLIE language modules (15 and 30 credits) run for BOTH Term 1 AND Term 2 (i.e. October to March), and the timetable is set for both terms.
Class and room information
Your class and room information will be available on the UCL Online Timetable from Sunday 06 October 2019 onwards, and will appear at least 24 hours before your class is due to start .
In order for your language module class to appear on your Online Timetable on Sunday 06 October 2019 you must have completed all registration steps with the CLIE no later than Wednesday 02 October 2019 AND been assigned to a group.
Please note that it is not possible under any circumstances to attend or join a group unless you have been officially registered for it by the CLIE.