This module will develop your ability to communicate, build and share knowledge in academic contexts through reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Aims and objectives
• To improve your abilities in academic reading, writing, listening, speaking and study skills.
• To provide you with the opportunity to develop and practise these skills and develop the language skills necessary to participate in the higher education system in the UK.
By the end of the module you should be able to:
• Use strategies for effectively reading academic English texts
• Recognise and understand a range of academic texts
• Critically evaluate texts
• Manage (determine the meaning of and record for personal use) unknown general academic and subject specific vocabulary
• Write effective extended essays based on background reading and research
• Write effective short, timed essays under examination conditions
• Understand and interpret spoken English in lectures and seminars more effectively
• Listen and take notes more effectively in lectures
• Use knowledge of English pronunciation to help understand spoken English more
accurately and confidently
• Give formal presentations and answer post-presentation questions more
effectively and confidently
• Lead and participate in seminars and group discussions more effectively and with increased confidence
• Communicate more fluently and accurately in academic discussion
Study skills and independent learning
• Work autonomously to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines effectively
• Take responsibility for your own learning by responding to feedback and using
self-study time to improve your language and skills
You will be assessed by exams and a group presentation.