Find out how you can apply for the Pre-sessional English courses, including the documents you will need to submit and how to pay your course fees.
On this page you'll find information on:
- Application process
- Paying your fees
- Important visa information
- Switching courses and making more than one application
IOE, UCL’s Faculty of Education and Society, degree offer holders
IOE degree offer holders interested in Pre-sessional English courses should apply for the separate UCL IOE Preparation for Academic Studies in Higher Education course.
All other UCL degree offer holders
You can apply for the CLIE Pre-sessional English courses via our website. Please follow these steps:
- Check the Pre-sessional entrance requirements to find the course that you are eligible for. If you have an IELTS result you can use our course eligibility calculator.
- Complete the online application form, uploading the following with your application:
- all pages of your 2022/23 UCL degree course offer, including all English language and academic conditions.
- your English language qualification (see below for further guidance on the English language qualifications we accept)
- the personal details page of your passport and your most recent UK visa if you have one.
- Pay the application fee on the UCL Online Store.
- Wait to hear back from us via email. If we offer you a place on the course, our email will include information about how and when you need to pay the course fees.
Required English language qualifications
If you hold a conditional offer for a UCL degree course you will need:
- Face-to-face pre-sessional: an IELTS for UKVI Academic or Pearson PTE Academic UKVI taken not more than 2 years before the Pre-sessional English course start date.
- Online pre-sessional: an IELTS Academic or Pearson PTE Academic taken not more than 2 years before the Pre-sessional English course start date. We will accept either UKVI or non-UKVI for the online courses
If you hold an unconditional offer for a UCL degree course you can apply for the 11- , 8- or 6-week Pre-sessional English courses using the English language qualification you submitted with your degree course application.
Please make sure to complete the application form in full and upload all the documents requested. If you submit an incomplete application and we need to write to you for additional information, the course you wish to attend may be full before we are able to offer you a place.
Minimum age requirements
You need to be 16 years of age or older at the start of the course. If you are under the age of 18 at the start of the course, you should check UCL's essential information for students under the age of 18 before making an application.
Deadline for applications
|Course||Application deadline||Start date|
|16-week||11am UK time on 12 April 2022||5 May 2022|
|11-week||11am UK time on 13 May 2022||6 June 2022|
|8-week||11am UK time on 1 June 2022||27 June 2022|
|6-week||11am UK time on 17 June 2022||11 July 2022|
Please note that we may stop accepting applications earlier than the above deadlines if all places on the course are filled.
Your place on a course is only confirmed when you have paid your fees. Course fees will normally be due within 2 weeks of our offer being made and can be paid by credit/debit card on the UCL Online Store. Full details of how to pay the fees will be emailed with our formal offer.
After you have paid your fees, you will be sent further information about how to make an application for UCL accommodation. Please see the UCL accommodation page for more information on the types of accommodation and costs.
Conditional UCL degree offer holders
We will normally email you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) 3 months before your Pre-sessional Course starts, or as soon as possible after that. You can use our CAS to apply for a Student Visa for the duration of the Pre-sessional Course. If you successfully complete the Pre-sessional Course assessment, your degree course offer will be made unconditional and UCL will issue you with a new CAS. You can use this CAS to make an application here in the UK for a Student Visa covering your degree course.
Unconditional UCL degree offer holders
UCL unconditional offer holders attending the 11, 8 and 6 week courses are eligible for a Joint CAS covering both your Pre-sessional course and your UCL degree course. Unconditional offer holders should apply at least 8 weeks before the Pre-sessional Course start date to allow time for a Joint CAS covering both the Pre-sessional and UCL degree course to be issued.
If we offer you a place on a Pre-sessional course, whether you accept our offer or not, you will not be considered for other Pre-sessional courses in the same calendar year. Please do not submit more than one application. Only your first application will be considered, and you may not receive a refund for other applications you make.
If your visa application is unsuccessful and it is not possible to make a further application, we will refund your course fees in full. Your refund claim must be made in writing and be supported by a Refusal of Entry Clearance letter. Other refund requests will be considered if we can find another student to take your place on the course and provided your request is received before the course application deadline.
All refunds will be subject to a £200 administration charge.
No refund will be made if you withdraw or are withdrawn (for example, because of poor attendance) from a course after it begins.