Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of Spanish Level 1+ at UCL CLIE or for learners who have studied the language before, for instance up to GCSE level, and have good knowledge of the Present tense.
10 x 2-hour classes
After 20 hours students may progress to level 2+
Aims and Objectives
The aim of the course is to give students an opportunity to revise their survival skills and acquire more sophisticated ways of dealing with practical matters. This includes revision and consolidation of vocabulary, grammar, morphology, syntax and phonetics. Cultural awareness will be developed.
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- Discussing past experiences.
- Describing personal skills, abilities, qualities and flaws.
- Discussing difficulties in language learning. Giving others advice.
- Describing and comparing the places where we live. Saying where things are within the house.
- Asking for a favour. Asking to borrow something. Saying yes or no. Giving excuses or explanations.
- Discussing plans and projects.
- Pretérito perfecto de indicativo.
- Saber vs poder.
- Adjectives to describe character/personality.
- Revision: irregular verbs in the present tense.
- Expressing duration with desde, hace, and desde hace.
- Expressing obligation.
- Locating objects in space. Prepositions of place.
- Making comparisons.
- Estar + the gerund.
- Me puede(s)/podría(s) + infinitive.
- Me da(s)/deja(s) + noun.
- Puedo/Podría + noun.
- Ya vs. todavía no.
- Ir a + infinitive.
- Linguistic Structures/ Phonetics
- Basic rules of the pronunciation of spoken Spanish.
- Aula Internacional 2, Editorial Difusión (units 1 and 3-5). ISBN: 9788415640103
- Aula Internacional 1, Editorial Difusión (unit 9 only).
- Online platform campus.difusion.com (materials to be used in class, as homework and for self-study; details will be provided in class). For this online platform, students will need to open their own account and then, for full access, purchase a premium account for a year access.
- We recommend you to acquire your book (Aula Internacional 1), or the platform, or both through the European Bookshop
- In addition, there is a range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre (SAC).