Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of Portuguese syllabus 1 and syllabus 2 (part 1) at UCL Language Centre or a low GCSE grade (or equivalent).
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students with a good knowledge of basic Portuguese to reach an intermediate level and to communicate in and understand Portuguese on many practical, everyday matters related to various aspects of Portuguese/Brazilian culture. Language learning skills, including autonomous learning and how to approach authentic material, will be enhanced.
- Describing, defining family; wishing happiness/luck
- Expressing likes/preferences/routines/experiences; expressing certainty/uncertainty/possibility/hope/worries/necessity; giving advice
- Characterizing, describing something; comparing, expressing sympathy and dislike
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- The family; celebrations; the immigration to Brazil
- Tourism/the tourists; the pollution; ecology/nature
- The regions of Brazil and Portugal; stereotypes; Influences in the Brazilian/Portuguese
- cultures; traditions
Revision of basic rules of the pronunciation of spoken Portuguese
Grammar and linguistic structures
- Verbs: to take, to bring + to take, to know, to say; pretérito mais-que-perfeito composto and simples (plus perfect); conditional future (futuro do pretérito); pretérito compost do indicative; adverbs ending in “mente” + other adverbs; Indefinite pronouns (alguma, algum, nada, etc…); double negation
- Passive voice; passive voice with “se”; participles; indefinite pronouns: todo, tudo, cada, etc...
- Main textbook: Novo Avenida Brasil 2 Curso Básico de Português para Estrangeiros
- The tutor will be using different books and handouts for extra exercises.