Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of Portuguese syllabus level 1+ at UCL Language Centre or a low GCSE grade (or equivalent).
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to give students an opportunity to revise their survival skills and acquire more sophisticated ways of dealing with practical matters. This includes revision and consolidation of vocabulary, grammar, morphology, syntax and phonetics. Cultural awareness will be developed.
- Describing people and things; expressing likes and dislikes; talking health; characterising people; expressing sympathy and dislike
- Giving opinion/taking part; confirming and disagreeing; contradicting/defining something
- Describing something; offering help; expressing wishes/concern; giving advice
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- The body/health; sports; Brazilian and Portuguese art
- The job market; situation of the women in the job market; professions
- The clothes; social meaning of clothes; invitations; intercultural differences
Basic rules of the pronunciation of spoken Portuguese
Grammar and linguistic structures
- Irregular verbs: ver, ter, que; adjectives; the superlative; plural of nouns
- Regular verbs ending in ar, er and ir (imperfect tense) and irregulars: ser and ter; routines in the past, description of two actions in the past and simultaneous actions in the past; contrasting the simple past and imperfect tenses
- Irregular verbs: pôr, vir, ir + vir, vestir (se); simple future (futuro do presente)
- Main textbook: Novo Avenida Brasil 2 Curso Básico de Português para Estrangeiros
- The tutor will be using different books and handouts for extra exercises.