Prerequisite for entry
For complete beginners or those who have had only very little contact with the language.
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students to function at a basic everyday survival level (basic vocabulary grammar, morphology, syntax and phonetics). Students should be able to communicate in and understand Portuguese on a number of practical everyday matters. Language learning skills, including autonomous learning and how to approach some authentic material, will be enhanced. Some transferable skills will also be covered.
- Greetings; asking and giving personal information; spelling your name; saying goodbye; communicating in the classroom
- Proposing something; inviting; asking for the time;
- Ordering food in a restaurant; thanking
- Asking how to you get to a place using means of transport
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- First contact; names, nationalities, addresses, professions, numbers up to 100
- Meeting with other people; leisure activities; the time; means of transport
- In the restaurant/bar; invitation; food and meals; at the table
Basic rules of the pronunciation of spoken Portuguese
Grammar and linguistic structures
- Irregular verb: to be (ser); regular verbs ending in ar; substantive – masculine and feminine; possessive pronouns: meu, minha, nosso, nossas + plural; prepositions: em + article, de + article
- Verbs: to go (ir), can (poder), to have (ter); immediate future tense; demonstrative pronouns: este, esta, estes, estas
- Regular verbs ending in er: to like (gostar de), to be (estar), to want (querer)
- Contrasting ser and estar
- Main textbook: Novo Avenida Brasil 1 Curso Básico de Português para Estrangeiros
- The tutor will be using different books and handouts for extra exercises.