Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of level 4+
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students to communicate in a wide range of daily situations and understand Japanese in many practical issues. Students will be given a wide range of topics to discuss in the classroom. A large volume of written texts after their abilities of reading and writing are used during lessons. Cultural awareness and knowledge of Japanese life style will be further developed during the course.
- Accepting or refusing an invitation
- Describing a person or thing with details
- Giving requirements
- Responding to some misunderstanding
- Providing or receiving a proposal
- Giving apologies after receiving a complaint
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- Protecting the earth
- Ideal partner
- Emergency situations
- How to make a formal telephone call
- How to write a formal letter
Linguistic structures/ Phonetics
Sophisticated rules of the pronunciation of Spoken Japanese.
- …だけだ・（ただ）… だけでいい
- …かな (sentence-final particle)
- ～た～ (noun modifier)
- …ほど～ない、…ほどではない (comparison)
- …はずが / はない
- ～てくる・～ていく (change)
- …より … ほうが… (comparison)
- ～らしい (reported speech / conjecture)
- ～（ら）れる(indirect passive: Transitive verbs)
- …おかげで、…・ …おかげだ
- Course book: Minna no Nihongo (Chukyu:Intermediate Level 1) (Lesson 7 – Lesson 12) published by 3A Corporation
- Other material: Minna no Nihongo Translation & Grammatical Notes (Chukyu:Intermediate Level 1) (Lesson 7 – Lesson 12) published by 3A Corporation
- Intermediate Kanji Book (Kanji 1000 plus) Published by Bonjinsha Co.,Ltd
In addition there is a wide range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre.