Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of level 2+.
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students to communicate in a wide range of daily situations and understand Japanese in many practical issues. Students will be given more sophisticated written texts after their abilities of reading and writing are further developed. Cultural awareness and knowledge of Japanese life style will be further developed during the course.
- Explaining causes, reasons and motivations
- Asking for some advice
- Expressing person’s ability to do something
- Describing a state and appearance
- Explaining what one is planning to do
- Making suggestions or giving advice
- Expressing inference
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- Japanese rubbish collection system
- Asking for a favour
- Having lost a bag on a train
- Talking about your room
- Talking about your hopes, wants dream
- Consulting a doctor
Linguistic structures/ Phonetics
Irregular rules of the pronunciation of Spoken Japanese.
- The potential forms
- The potential verbs 「見える」＆「聞こえる」
- Intransitive verbs
- …ている、 …てある 、…ておく
- The volitional forms
- The Imperative & Prohibitive forms
- Course book: Minna no Nihongo (shokyu 2) (Lesson 26 – Lesson 33) published by 3A Corporation
- Other material: Minna no Nihongo 2 Translation & Grammatical Notes (Lesson 26 – Lesson 33) published by 3A Corporation
- Kihon kanji 500 Vol. 1 published by Bonjinsha Co.,Ltd
In addition there is a wide range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre.