Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of level 1+.
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students to function at a basic everyday survival level (basic vocabulary, grammar and phonetics). Students should be able to communicate in and understand Japanese on a number of practical everyday matters. Language learning skills, including autonomous learning and how to approach some authentic material will be enhanced. Also, students should develop their ability of reading and writing sentences using simple kanji. Cultural awareness will be developed by using some topics such as traditional culture and entertainment in lessons.
- Asking something in a polite manner
- Giving an instruction to someone
- Encouraging someone to do something
- Offering to do something for someone
- Asking for permission
- Expressing prohibition
- Describing that a certain action or motion is in progress
- Telling how to use a machine
- Talking about one’s experiences
- Talking about obligation
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- Taking a taxi
- Visiting a doctor
- Body and illness
- Withdrawal of money from a cash machine
- Traditional culture and entertainment in Japan
Linguistic structures/ Phonetics
Basic rules of the pronunciation of Spoken Japanese.
- The te-form of verbs
- The nai-form of verbs
- The ta-form of verbs
- Simple Kanji
- Course book: Minna no Nihongo (shokyu 1) (Lesson 14 – Lesson 19) published by 3A Corporation
- Other material: Minna no Nihongo 1 Translation & Grammatical Notes (Lesson 14 – Lesson 19) published by 3A Corporation
In addition there is a wide range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre.