Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of French syllabus level 3 at UCL Centre for Languages & International Education or a high GCSE grade (or equivalent).
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students with a good basic knowledge of French to converse reasonably fluently with native speakers and discuss personal, social and current issues using appropriate structures. Cultural awareness will be further developed through an extended use of authentic material. Some transferable skills will also be covered.
- Describing your way of living
- Giving advices, expressing restriction
- Describing past events
- Explaining and defending your personal opinions
- Understanding the gist and detailed information of recording and written texts
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- Free time
Linguistic Structures/ Phonetics
More difficult sounds in French
- Adjectives and pronouns indefinite
- Pronouns 'en' and 'y'
- Expressing causality
- Course book: Le Nouveau Taxi 2 - units 4 to 6 – Hachette.
- Tutor’s material.
- In addition there is a wide range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre.
Bilingual Dictionaries (Collins/Robert) Pocket edition