International Student Support


Tier 4 visa applications

If you are not from the European Economic Area or Switzerland (including dual nationals) and are coming to study in the UK for more than 6 months then you will require a Tier 4 Student visa*. 

Applying for a Tier 4 visa should be fairly straight forward as long as you are prepared. Click on one of the links below for information about how to apply under Tier 4 and what it means to hold a Tier 4 visa. For immigration advice please contact the Student Immigration Advice Team by using the contact form.

*The Tier 4 visa is the only visa that is specifically for full-time long term study in the UK. We expect the majority of overseas students will need to obtain this visa. However, a number of different visas will still allow you to study in the UK, though these visas will have been obtained for a main reason other than study. If you already have one of these visas, you may be able to choose to study using this visa. If you do, you should ensure that you are still able to meet the conditions your visa was issued for. If you are not able to show a valid visa that enables you to study, UCL will not be able to allow you to enrol. Examples of other visas you can study on are:

  • PBS dependant
  • Tier 5 Youth Mobility
  • Tier 2 (part-time study)
  • Ancestry visa
  • Tier 1
  • Doctorate Extension Scheme
  • Family member of an EEA national