Checklist for Silva Editors
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- All links should have meaningful text - never use 'click here', 'read more' etc.
- No links should open in a new window, except see point 2 under Accessibility.
- All pages have a title and headings / sub-headings.
- All images have Alt text.
- Use meaningful IDs. For example, for a news-article, don't use a date.
Use keywords from the article instead.
- Google Analytics has been set up for the site and the number added in the UCL Attributes at the root of the site.
- All attached files should preferably be PDFs.
- All PDFs should open in a new window.
- Include the word 'pdf' in your links!
Use heading styles, starting with the largest i.e. Title | Heading | Sub | Subsub
- Don't mix them up. The order is there for reasons of accessibility.
- Videos should have captions!
- All IDs should be in lowercase.
- Don't use underscores when creating IDs. Instead use hyphens.
- Keep IDs for pages and folders the same as their titles.
- Keep your IDs relatively short.
Upkeep of the site
- Are there regular meetings for all Editors?
- Who checks for broken links regularly? You can use the Firefox add-on 'link-checker'.
- Check your site on different devices. Even if your site is not responsive,
it should at least be clear. Especially the most important elements of each page.
- Don't have too many links in the left-hand menu.
- Before you throw out the old and bring in the new, make sure you have solid evidence that doing so is necessary to achieve user-centred goals (Nielsen).
Don't put external code sources inside another external code source e.g. don't put an accordion inside a tab... !