UKERNA rules permit Higher and Further Education institutions with a primary connection to JANET to grant a "sponsored connection" to JANET via their own network under licence to UKERNA. The third-party can connect their own network to JANET via the primary site for educational or research purposes only. This use is governed by the Acceptable Use Policy of UKERNA and the primary site.
UCL has 11 Sponsored Connections:
- Aga Khan University (AKU)
- Alan Turing Institute (ATI)
- British Museum (BM)
- Chartered Institute of Library & Information Professionals (CILIP)
- Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH)
- Institute of Fiscal Studies (IFS)
- National Gallery (NG)
- Northwick Park Institute for Medical Research (NPIMR)
- Royal Astronomical Society (RAS)
- Royal Institution (RI)
- University College London Hospital NHS Trust (UCLH)
There are charges for the UKERNA licence and various services provided by Information Services Division.
A Proxy Connection applies when an organisation with a Primary Connection permits a third-party to use its facilities on a regular basis to access JANET.
There are charges for a UKERNA proxy licence and various services provided by Information Services Division.