Resources are calendars which allow you to book out a room or a piece of equipment. This service is only available to staff.
- Users and features of a resource
- Requesting a resource
- Naming conventions and managing a resource
- Add/remove/modify users
- Resource settings
Uses and features of a resource
- Enables you to book meeting rooms or pieces of equipment or anything that is commonly defined as a resource. For example laptops, training PC's, projectors etc.
- You can invite the resource having it integrated into a specific meeting within Outlook This creates a much smoother booking system ensuring double booking can never take place.
- Give you the ability to administer and maintain use of the resources by themselves.
Requesting a resource
A calendar resource can be requested by logging in to the ISD IT Services Portal.
Once logged in, select Remedyforce Self Service and search for the request form named Resource Calendar Request.
Naming conventions and managing a resource
Once the resource has been created, the owners of the resource have the ability to maintain the resource using Outlook 2013 or OWA.
Resources can be identified in the Global Address List (GAL) in the following format:
~Buliding Name.Room Nos (nos of seats).Department Name
Each Resource has an ADMINS and USERS security group associated with it.
- Members of the USERS security group can book the resource.
- Members of the ADMINS group can add/remove members of the USERS group.
The security groups are available in the GAL and are created in the following format;
>Department Name. Building Name. Room Name or Nos. Admins. SG. R. user ID
>Department Name. Building Name. Room Name or Nos. Users. SG. R. user ID
Fig 1. Example of a security group for a resource in the Global Address List (GAL) View a larger version
- To add/remove users : Open your address book and find the security groups associated with your resource from within the Global Address List (GAL).
- To modify the membership of the security groups : Double click on the security group and Choose Modify Members. Add or remove members.
Outlook Web Access (OWA) allows you to customise various settings for your resource.
1. Log in to OWA with your UCL user ID and password (remember to add @ucl.ac.uk after your user ID).
2. Locate your name in the top right corner of the OWA window and click on the drop down and arrow. Select open another mailbox.
Fig 2. Location of your name in the OWA window. View a larger version
3. In the Open Other Mailbox box, type in the name of the resource
Fig 3. Open Other Mailbox window. View a larger version
4. Now go to Options > Settings > Resource