Information Services Division


Anxiety, Depression, and Other Mental Health Conditions

Suffering from anxiety, depression, or other mental health conditions?


If you have an existing mental health condition, or are struggling to cope with being at university, there are many ways to get help.

Existing conditions

If you have an existing condition, such as bipolar disorder or obsessive-compulsive disorder, you can register with Student Support and Wellbeing. They can advise you on the support available, and help you apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance if needed.


If you feel you just need someone to discuss your problems with, such as exam-related stress, loneliness, or homesickness, you can register with the Student Psychological Services, and they will match you with someone to talk through your issues with, and help you find appropriate coping strategies for your personal concerns.

UCL student support group website

You can obtain information on specific support services inside and outside UCL from the UCL student support group website.

Out of Hours Help


There is a support service called Nightline, run by students for students, from 6pm to 8am, which you can reach via email or telephone:


“Whatever you're going through, call us free any time, from any phone on 116 123.”

You can phone the above number, or email Jo Samaritans.

Care First

You can access one-off telephone and online consultations, provided by Care First's BACP-accredited counsellors, from 5pm to 9am on weekdays, and 24 hours a day at weekends and on UCL's closure days:

Find out more about UCL's partnership with Care First.



You can access staff counselling via the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Out of Hours Help


“Whatever you're going through, call us free any time, from any phone on 116 123.”

You can phone the above number, or email Jo Samaritans.

Concerned about a student?

If you are concerned about the mental health of a student in your department, you can consult one of the student counsellors in order to assess the best course of action for the student. You can do this by phone, ringing ext. 21487 (020 7679 1487) or in person, by arranging an appointment with Student Psychological Services' Senior Executive Officer.

If a counsellor is not immediately available to talk to you, please leave your name and telephone number and someone will get back to you as soon as they are free.

Student Registry Services have also produced a document with guidance for supporting students at UCL, covering a myriad of possible situations that may arise.

Also please see our page on downloadable apps to support you for further information.