Teaching Spaces at IOE FAQs
The IT for IOE AV team provide teaching room support for ~80 centrally bookable spaces within the IOE, along with general AV support for the local departments within the IOE. We can also provide dedicated technical support for conferences and events. Working closely with the Conference Office the team support over 150 external events per year.
UCL staff and students can now make use of IOE’s learning and teaching spaces. ISD is working with IOE to provide IT facilities within the IOE spaces but there are some limitations which you should be aware of.
- When is technical support available?
Technical support is available 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday. Outside of these times, a support ticket is generated and the AV team will look into the problem when they are back on-site. If you need to extend these supported times, or need weekend support, please email IOE.AV.Support and we can discuss your requirements.
- Who should I contact for technical support whilst using IOE teaching spaces?
- If you are experiencing problems with the AV during a session, please use the speed dial button on the phone (situated on the lectern) to call for AV Support.
- Where are these teaching spaces located?
The venues are being used:
- The IOE Main Building on Bedford Way (building number 20 on the map).
Further Information about facilities spaces at the IOE:
Learning & Teaching Room & Spaces at UCL:
Location map of UCL - Institute of Education
- Which teaching spaces are available to UCL staff/students at IOE?
Please use the following link to access the complete list of all IOE Teaching spaces. (All IOE spaces will start with the prefix IOE). Please use the following link to access the complete list of all UCL Teaching spaces.
These rooms are a mix of lecture theatres, classrooms and computer workrooms.
- How do I book a teaching space at IOE?
Teaching events have been allocated to the IOE space as part of the annual academic timetabling process. Any available slots will then be offered as alternatives, should requested UCL rooms be unavailable.
The Space is currently available to be booked by UCL Institute of Education staff only. UCL Institute of Education students cannot book The Space, although they can use it if supervised by a member of UCL Institute of Education staff. The Space is currently not available to be booked by external groups, but if you would like to express an interest in future bookings, please contact Cally Moraitis (Psychology and Human Development administrator).
The table lists all UCL's centrally-bookable rooms.
To check availability and request a booking, please search for bookable space.
Lecture Theatre have fixed seating, Classrooms have movable furniture, Public Cluster have desktop PCs.
Please make sure, when booking teaching spaces at the IOE and you require a specific AV setup to contact the IT for IOE team via email on firstname.lastname@example.org with the date, time, room number and specific requirements.
- What audio visual equipment is provided in these spaces?
An example of a teaching station used in IOE's teaching rooms:
All lecterns have
- A touch panel (for system control)
- A resident PC
- Comfort monitor
- Auxiliary leads for connecting laptops (usually HDMI and VGA)
- Document camera/visualiser
- Lecturecast facilities (usually rooms with a capacity of 20+)
- Voice reinforcement (usually rooms with a capacity of 50+)
- Some lecterns may also have DVD/BluRay Players
- Some lecterns may have a wireless BYOD gateway (WePresent/ClickShare).
- Can I connect to the internet?
All IOE’s teaching spaces use eduroam wireless networking which works in the same way as it does at UCL. If your laptop or device already connects to eduroam at UCL then it should connect straight away. If you have not yet connected your device to eduroam, you should connect it to eduroam using your UCL credentials when promoted. You can find more about connecting to eduroam on our Getting Connected pages.
You cannot connect to the wired network at IOE.
- What do I do if the application I require is not available on Desktop @ UCL Anywhere?
In the first instance, please contact UCL Central Room Bookings to check whether an alternative is available; offering alternative times where possible.
In the longer term, you can request to have the software made available by calling the ISD IT for IOE Service Desk or completing the Software Application Request form.
- Who can I talk to regarding the teaching spaces at IOE?
- Please contact Room Bookings.
Lecturecast at IOE
Lecturecast is a tool for scheduling and recording lectures held in IOE Teaching Spaces. Recordings can be made available to students via their Moodle courses to support student learning.
Lecturecast provides a learning platform that goes beyond the simple recording and viewing of lectures, allowing staff to transform their content into an interactive experience and enabling students to engage further with content.
Create Lecturecast recordings in 3 easy steps:
- Schedule the recording of lectures timetabled in CMIS, using the Lecturecast Scheduler
- Make recordings available via your Moodle course using the Moodle Connector Block
- Edit and manage recordings using Lecturecast Active Learning Platform (ALP)
- Which teaching spaces are equipped with Lecturecast facilities?
Centrally bookable spaces with a capacity of 20+ should have lecturecast facilities, currently these include:
# of People
537 30 Classroom 604 48 Classroom 639 30 Classroom 642 75 Classroom 675 30 Classroom 728 60 Classroom 731 50 Classroom 736 30 Classroom 777 36 Classroom 780 40 Classroom 784 40 Classroom 790 30 Classroom 802 50 Classroom 804 60 Classroom 822 70 Classroom 828 40 Classroom 901 35 Classroom 944 35 Classroom Clarke Hall 50/70 Classroom/Theatre Committee Room 1 35/60 Classroom/Theatre Committee Room 2 25/35 Classroom/Theatre Drama Hall 75/120 Classroom/Theatre Elvin Hall 80/150 Classroom/Theatre Jeffery Hall 120/300 Classroom/Theatre Logan Hall 933 Theatre Nunn Hall 50/100 Classroom/Theatre W3.01 217 Lecture/Theatre W3.04 24 Classroom W3.05 24 Classroom W3.06 36 Classroom W3.07 28 Public Cluster W3.08 35 Public Cluster W2.05 42 Classroom W2.06 48 Classroom W2.07 20 Classroom W2.08 20 Classroom
- Who should I contact to schedule Lecturecast within the above teaching spaces?
Once a room booking has been confirmed, recordings can be scheduled directly via the Lecturecast booking page as with any UCL room.
More information and the booking form can be found at on the Lecturecast information page.
“For more information on which teaching spaces support Lecturecast, please click here