Silva CMS: upload a file
You can upload a file (e.g. PDF, Word, PowerPoint) to your website and create a link from it.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
Before you start...
You will need to have Chief Editor, Editor or Author access in Silva;
You will need to have attended Silva training.
- Avoid using Internet Explorer when editing;
- Log on to the relevant website by adding /edit at the end of the web address or clicking on the small cross at the bottom of the page.
We strongly advise to upload PDFs as they allow everyone to see the information. Microsoft Word is not on everyone's device and not free like Adobe reader - consider mobile-devices!
If you are making a PDF file, please ensure that before you save, you click on Options and tick the boxes as is the image.
You will need to have Headings in the document to be able to tick 'Create bookmarks using:..'.
Some options may already have been ticked automatically.
This is a 2-step process
- You upload the file to your website
- You make a link to the file.
Step 1 - Adding a file to the website Step 1
- Ensure you are in the Contents screen
- Click on the drop-down menu next to new and choose Silva File
- Browse for the file on your computer
Select the file and click on Open
The file path is now visible to the left of the Browse button
IMPORTANT - in Optional field, under 'id', put in the title with the file extension, e.g.
conference-papers.doc or budget2013.xls or new-discovery.pdf
This is so that all browsers can recognise the file!
- Fill in the title (not required)
- Click on save in the bottom right-hand corner
- The file is now visible in the Contents screen
Step 2 - Adding a link to a file
- Ensure you are in the page from where you want to make the link
- Select the text which will be the link to the file, including the extension e.g. (pdf) or (xls)
- Expand the link tab if necessary
- Click on get link reference
- Tick the relevant file's check-box
- Save and publish the page
- The link will look like the link below:
1Note If you need to upload a large number of files (e.g. 50 pdfs) for an Intranet, for example, please email email@example.com as we can do this for you.
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org