Silva CMS: tables
Tables on websites should primarily be used for data e.g. list of academic staff, their email address, phone number etc.
Avoid using tables for lay-out. If there is a need for a design, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
Before you start...
You will need to have Chief Editor, Editor or Author access in Silva;
You will need to have attended Silva training.
- Avoid using Internet Explorer when editing;
- Log on to the relevant website by adding /edit at the end of the web address or clicking on the small cross at the bottom of the page.
It is good practice to add a header to your table by clicking the tick box.
This will allow you to add a header for the whole table so that a blind person can hear what the table is about!
Create a table
- Place the cursor where you want the table to appear on your web page;
- Move your cursor over to the table toolbox located on the right;
- Choose the table properties in the table properties area of the toolbox;
A 'plain' table has no borders, 'list' has a grey background, 'grid' and 'datagrid' have black borders;
- 'Grey' is recommended for tables with a lot of data;
- Tick 'create header' - this will give you a 'heading' for the table. It will also allow those who use screen readers1, to know in advance what the table is about;
- Click add;
- Click save.
You can set the width of the columns after you've created them.
Initially, the width of all columns will be '1'. By changing '1' to e.g. '3' the column gets wider once updated.
Edit a table
Click anywhere in the table.
This will change the table toolbox located on the right.
You can then add or remove columns and rows and also change the ratio of the column widths e.g. where the ratio is 1,2 the right column is twice the size of the left column.
- When editing a table, do not change the number of columns in the 'column-widths' field to be different to the number of columns already set in the table.
- If you do, errors may occur on this page.
- If you need to redo a table, you cannot copy and paste it, unfortunately.
- You can move text (not URLs) by selecting/highlighting it and then dragging it to the new location.
1Screen readers may be used by people with a visual disability.
Related guides & other info
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact email@example.com