Silva CMS: external link
An external link is a link to an external website.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
Before you start...
You will need to have Chief Editor, Editor or Author access in Silva;
You will need to have attended Silva training.
- Avoid using Internet Explorer when editing;
- Log on to the relevant website by adding /edit at the end of the web address or clicking on the small cross at the bottom of the page.
- Ensure you are in the Contents screen;
- Click on the page where you wish to add the link;
- Click on new version if the page has previously been published;
- Select the text which will become the link;
- Expand the link tab on the right, if necessary;
- Paste / Type the full URL of the web page you want to link to in the box;
- Click on add link;
- Save, publish and test the link.
- Avoid using full URLs as links; instead, use meaningful text as it helps Search Engines with indexing - i.e. it improves your SEO.
- A blind person using a screen reader prefers meaningful text to a URL!
- We don't recommend you open the link in a new window any longer - Jan 18th, 2013
- Invite other websites to link to your website. It will improve your SEO.
|Examples of links|
|A meaningful link||Bad for SEO and accessibility|
|MSSL Astrophysics Group||Checklist for Silva Editors|