Silva CMS: add a news article
You can ask Web & Mobile Services to add a News feature to your site. Many sites at UCL use this feature. Once added, you can add your own news articles.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
Before you start...
You will need to have Chief Editor, Editor or Author access in Silva;
You will need to have attended Silva training.
- Avoid using Internet Explorer when editing;
- Log on to the relevant website by adding /edit at the end of the web address or clicking on the small cross at the bottom of the page.
Instructions - same for Silva and Indigo
It's worth noting you can add folder structures within your news publication. This could be useful for setting up news archives of older items.
1. Ensure you are in the contents screen at the appropriate level
i.e. where the News feature was created;
2. Click on News Publication / Seminar Publication
(depends on the title you gave the publication - it's orange!);
3. From the drop-down menu, select Silva article;
4. Give the article an ID e.g. olympics-2012 (use keywords, with hyphens!) - important for Search Engine Optimisation;
5. Give the article a Title e.g. Olympics 2012 - keep it short;
6. Tick all-news and all-users; and any other groups that have been set up for your site;
7. Click on save + edit;
8. Type the article, save and publish;
9. To see the article, click on View.
The information about the article is visible to the right i.e. subject, target audience, publication date and display date.
Adding another article
To add another article:
1. Ensure you are in your News Publication;
2. From the drop-down list select Silva article;
3. Give the article an ID e.g. new-director-sls;
4. Give the article a Title e.g. New Director appointed in SLS - but keep it short!!!
- Ensure there is a verb in the title
- Only use a capital letter for the first word
- Use caps for job titles
5. Tick all-news and all-users;
6. Click on save + edit;
7. Type the article, save and publish.
Related guides & other info
- Can I have a news feature in the right-hand column?
You can have a news feature in the left-hand, middle or right-hand column on the corporate identity template.
In Indigo Silva, you can have it in the middle column, as 2 columns in the middle or on the right-hand side.
- Can I move an article up the list?
I find that a news article I wrote in December last year, but which takes place in March this year, is now - it's March - at the bottom of the list.
How can I move it up?
- Go to the article in question and click on new version;
- Click on the status tab at the top;
- Change the display time to a time nearer to when you want it e.g. 03/03/2015;
- Save and re-publish.
- Does it matter what ID I use when I create a news article?
Does it matter what ID I use when I create a new News article?
Yes, for Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) it's important you don't do it like this: 2013-04-22-U3A; instead give the article relevant keywords e.g. opthalmology-conference-2013
- Why does it say News Viewer above the News on my site?
This is what it was named by the person creating the Viewer, but you can rename it to e.g. Biosciences News.
- Should I organise the news in some way?
Yes, it's best to put articles in a folder for each year.
- Why should I tick creation date?
This will show when the article was written.
- Why should I tick source link?
Because it will provide the article with a link at the bottom of the article allowing the user to view all articles.
- I don't want the News Pub or Viewer to appear in the left-hand navigation
You need to hide it in the Properties tab.
- When do I get an RSS feed icon?
This happens automatically when you use a News feed in Silva.
- Article in the past
If you want to change the publish date for an article, e.g. you want to 'go back in the past':
- Go into the article in edit mode;
- Click on the status tab at the top;
- Make the relevant changes;
- Save and publish.
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact Silva-support Team.