How to activate Windows and Office on site
This guide allows you to activate Windows and Office within UCL (on site) without requiring a license key.
Please note: If your machine is disconnected from UCL's network or has been off site for more than six months, please contact the ISD IT Supplier and Management team.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
Before you start...
- You have Windows/Office downloaded from UCL's Software Database
- You must configure the IP address for your machine (you should already have an IP address if you downloaded this software from within UCL – if not please contact your Local Departmental Administrator/rep)
- If Windows or Office does not activate automatically then download this zip file and run the KMS-support.cmd file (if you get a warning from SmartScreen, click More Info and Run anyway) and send the results file to KMS-Support
1. Once you have obtained the DNS hostname suffix for your department, Open System Properties by one of the following ways:
- Right-click Windows Logo/Start Menu > System [only on Windows 10]
- Windows Logo key + Break key
- Right-click My Computer/This PC > Properties
- Control panel > System and Security> System
Fig 1a. Right-click Windows Logo [Windows 10 only]
Fig 1b. Right-click My Computer
2. Under Computer name, domain and workgroup settings, click Change settings
Fig 2. System Properties
3. On the Computer Name tab, click Change
Fig 3. To rename this computer, click Change
4. Click More
Fig 4. Computer Name/Domain changes
5. Enter the appropriate Primary DNS suffix in the text box and click OK. (if you are unsure of this please contact your Departmental Network Administrator).
Fig 5. DNS Suffix and NetBIOS Computer Name
6. You will be prompted to restart your machine
Fig 6. Restart now
7. When the system has restarted, open the System control panel again and click ‘Activate Windows now’
Fig 7. Activate Windows now [Windows 10]
Related guides & other info
- Searching for details of software package or application
- Downloading software
- Installing software you have downloaded
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact the IT Services.