Drupal CMS: Set up a new Drupal site
Learn about setting up a new site in Drupal.
This guide is aimed at
- PG Students
Before you start
You need to be a Senior Editor, Editor or Author
When editing use Chrome, Firefox or Safari but NOT Internet Explorer
These instructions are for users who have been given permission to set up a new website and have been emailed a link to their 'sandbox' site.
Setting up a site from scratch
Changing the name of a site once you've started building is very time-consuming for the Digital Presence team, so make sure everyone in your team has been consulted and has agreed on the domain name before you ask Digital Presence to create a new site!
A domain name is the name that will appear instead of the word 'blah' after 'ucl.ac.uk/' - e..g. ucl.ac.uk/blah
- You have successfully requested a new website and and been provided with the URL for the new site you are going to build e.g. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/drupal/site_blah
- You will need to log into the site first and then request access as a Senior Editor by emailing email@example.com with the relevant URL and your role
- Once you've received an email telling you that access has been granted, use any browser except Internet Explorer to log in
- Start by creating the homepage which will in most cases be a so-called landing page - decide if you want the titles for teasers to be above or below the images
- Continue creating landing pages and pages
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org once you know which page is going to be the homepage of the site - they will set the page as your homepage
- If you want to add news and / or events to the site, decide on which tags you'd need and email email@example.com to request a news and / or events feed to be set up.
For this to be done, Digital Presence will need to know which Faculty the site belongs to and which Org Unit (department).
Go live checklist
- Remember the difference between landing pages and detail or child pages!
- Once you have built your homepage, email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can set it as your homepage. Only Digital Presence can do this!
- Whether you had Google Analytics (GA) on your site in Silva or have GA set up for your new site, please read our instructions on what to do.
Have News feed and tags been added - if relevant?
Have Events feed been added - if relevant?
Has password protection been added to the Intranet - if relevant?
Have LDAP groups been added e.g. on intranet? An LDAP group is a group a user belongs to e.g. isd-staff, biosciences-ug, history-pg etc.
Instructions are on the /drupal-support site.
Have you checked all the links are working correctly? You can add a link-checker app to your browser which checks all links on a page really quickly!
Are you available to check the site once we've made it live? It's a good idea to have someone available so you don't end up with problems and no one available to solve them... .