Drupal CMS: Optimising content for sharing
Learn how to change the meta tags default text on your website.
Before you start
When editing use Chrome, Firefox or Safari but NOT Internet Explorer.
You can change the way content appears when it’s shared on other platforms and social media. We have three sets of meta tags that can be used to change the default text. You don’t have to use these as generally the default description is good enough for the snippet when content is shared but if you wish to customize you can change the following:
- Basic: page title and description
- OpenGraph: for many platforms including LinkedIn, Facebook and WhatsApp and Twitter if no Twitter Cards values added
- Twitter Cards: if you want to further optimise for Twitter only
Please note the following:
- the default values are usually good enough for sharing and ensure that we never publish content without this basic metadata so you don't need to use any of the new fields unless you particularly wish to optimise the data for sharing on different platforms
- we strongly recommend that you never overwrite the page title unless you have good reason to do so
- any data entered in the interim Twitter Card fields will be inaccessible but can be overwritten using the new fields under Meta Tags
How to change meta tags on Drupal within your site
- Log in to your site and click 'edit page', once you are in editing mode click on 'meta tags' on the left-hand side menu and you will see the meta data.
- When creating new content or editing your existing content, meta data will be using defaults (the page title and content intro will be the title and description). This can be changed in the Meta Tags tab.
- The metadata fields cannot be altered until the tick box has been unchecked.
- Once the box has been unchecked, the basic metadata for the page title and description can be changed.
- This is the same process for Open Graph and Twitter Cards.