Connecting to the UCL VPN with Apple iOS (iPhone, iPad)
This guide explains how to connect to the UCL Virtual Private Network (VPN) which gives access to a variety of UCL services and resources from outside of UCL.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
- SLMS staff
Before you start...
- You must be aware of and abide by the UCL Computing Regulations
- You must be aware of and abide by the JANET Acceptable Use Policy
- You need your UCL user ID & password – found on the front of your registration slip
- An internet connection outside the UCL network e.g. from home
- A Mac with anti-virus installed (see Anti-virus requirements)
When connected to the UCL VPN service, ALL your traffic will be sent through the UCL network, regardless of whether the destination is a UCL address or an address on the Internet.
- Go to the App Store
Fig.1 – App Store icon
- Search for "Cisco AnyConnect" and install by clicking GET or cloud icon
Fig.2 – Cisco AnyConnect in App Store
- Open Cisco AnyConnect
Fig.3 – Cisco AnyConnect app icon
- Choose your "AnyConnect" Would Like to Send You Notifications preference
Fig.4 – "AnyConnect" Would Like to Send You Notifications
- Click Connections from the menu then Add VPN Connection...
Fig.5 – Add VPN Connection...
- At the Add VPN Connection window, enter the details as below:
Description: You can call this what you like (we've chosen UCL VPN for this guide)
Server Address: vpn.ucl.ac.uk
Advanced: Click Advanced and go to the next step
Fig.6 – Add VPN Connection details
- Make sure Network Roaming is disabled (as pictured below)
Fig.7 – Add VPN Connection (advanced options)
- Go back and click Save
- Click Allow at the "AnyConnect" Would Like to Add VPN Configurations notification
Fig.8 – "AnyConnect" Would Like to Add VPN Configurations notification
- If prompted, enter your iPad/iPhone passcode to Add VPN Configurations
Fig.9 – Enter iPad passcode
- When the connection is Enabled (a tick will display next to the connection), click the AnyConnect VPN switch
Fig.10 – Connection enabled
At the Authentication window, enter the details as below and click Connect
Username: your UCL user ID
Password: your UCL password
Fig.11 – Enter your username and password
When successfully connected to UCL's VPN, a VPN icon will appear in the top-right corner.
Fig.12 – AnyConnect connected to VPN
To disconnect from UCL's VPN, click the AnyConnect VPN switch to the off position.