Connecting to Print@UCL using a Mac running OS X
This guide will explain how to enable your standalone Apple Mac computer to print to a Print@UCL device.
ISD are unable to offer support for Mac OS beyond the current release and the 2 releases before that. Although the information provided may work on older versions of OS X, should you run into problems the advice is to update and try again.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
- SLMS staff
Before you start...
- You will need an Apple Mac computer running Mac OSX and connected to the UCL network either via Eduroam or UCL VPN
- Access to a Print @ UCL device in order to collect your print job
- A UCL ID card and user ID
- These instructions are based on Mac OS X 10.12.2 (Sierra)
- Remove any old queues associated with print.ad.ucl.ac.uk
ISD have created a script that will allow you to install your Print @ UCL queue with a single click. This script currently only supports Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or newer. If you are running an older version of MAC OS please either update or follow the manual instructions in method 2.
- Go to the automatic installation script page and click the Download button.
Fig 1. Download button in the SharePoint file repository
- You should now see a file called Print UCL Install in your downloads folder.
Fig 2. Mac Downloads Window
- Double click Print UCL Install to run the script
- If you receive a security warning like the one below click Open. You may also need to enter your mac credentials to run the script.
Fig 3. Mac OS X security Warning
- Click OK on welcome message
Fig 4. Print @ UCL auto installation welcome message
- Enter your mac password to approve change
- You should now see a message to say the print queue installation is complete. Click OK
Fig 5. Print @ UCL auto install complete message
- Download the Mac print driver from the apple website
- Once the file has downloaded, double-click on the file to open it and then open the installer (xeroxprinterdrivers4.1.dmg) file and install the drivers.
- Click next until you see the screen below. Click Close
Fig 6. Xerox Install driver complete
- Click on the Apple icon and go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
- Click on the Add Printer button which is a plus symbol +.
- Select the Advanced Tab – (if you cannot see this: hold down the Ctrl key and click on the default icon. Select Customize Toolbar. Right click or hold click on the advanced item and select Add Advanced now click done.
- Click the Advanced icon (you may need to wait 30 seconds)
- Enter in/select the following:
- Type: Windows printer via spools (this may be displayed as Windows on older o/s)
- URL: smb://print.ucl.ac.uk/print-ucl
- Name: print-UCL
- Click the drop down menu Print Using or Use and click Select Printer Software
- In the search window enter Xerox 7655, select this device, click OK.
- Click on the Add button.
- Select the following options when configuring the printer:
- Paper trays: 5 Paper Trays Installed
- Finisher: Advanced office finisher
- Hole punch: Not installed
- Job storage: Installed
- Post process: Not installed
Fig 7. Print Options screen
- Click OK.
- The print queue is now added. When you print a document you will be prompted for your name (UCL userID) and password. For certain legacy MAC operating systems you will need to submit 2 print jobs before the pop up prompt appears.
- Please use the following format to enter your UCL userID into the name field:
this must be your UCL userID and not the user account of the Mac.
- Enter your password and click on remember this password in my keychain.
Please note: When your UCL password expires/changes you must enter the new password in your keychain. To do this open the Keychain Access tool (located in Utilities), find the print-UCL entry, delete this and repeat the process of submitting a print job, this will prompt you for your credentials again.
Related guides & other info
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact the Service Desk