Connecting to Print@UCL using a Mac running OS X
This guide will explain how to enable your standalone Apple Mac computer to print to a Print@UCL device.
Please note: Every time your password changes or expires you will need to update your keychain.
ISD are unable to offer support for Mac OS beyond the current release and the 2 releases before that. Although the information provided may work on older versions of OS X, should you run into problems the advice is to update and try again.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
- SLMS staff
Before you start...
- You will need an Apple Mac computer running Mac OSX and connected to the UCL network either via ethernet, Eduroam or UCL VPN
- Access to a Print @ UCL device in order to collect your print job
- A UCL ID card and user ID
- These instructions are based on Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave)
- Remove any old queues associated with print.ad.ucl.ac.uk
Download the Mac print driver from the Xerox website
Once the file has downloaded, double-click on the file to open it and then open the installer (Xerox Print Driver 5.2.0.pkg) file and install the drivers using default selections and accepting license agreement.
Once you get to the stage below, exit the installer by clicking the red x in the top left corner:
Fig 6. Install Xerox Printer dialog box
Go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners
Click on the Add Printer button which is a plus symbol +
Select the Advanced tab – (if you cannot see this: hold down the Ctrl key and click on the default icon. Select Customize Toolbar. Drag the Advanced icon onto the tool bar
Click the Advanced icon (you may need to wait 30 seconds)
Enter in/select the following:
- Type: Windows printer via spools (this may be displayed as Windows on older o/s)
- URL: smb://print.ucl.ac.uk/print-ucl
- Name: print-UCL
- Use: Click the drop down menu and Select Software
- In the search window enter Xerox Altalink C8055, select this device, click OK.
Click on the Add button.
Click on Configure
Select the following options when configuring the printer:
- Paper trays: 5 Trays
- Hole Punch Module: Not installed
- Tri-Fold Module: Not installed
- LAN Fax Module: Not installed
- Lan Fax Email Confirmation: Not installed
- Job storage: Installed
- Finisher: Office Finisher LX with Booklet Maker
- Click OK.
- The print queue is now added. When you print a document you will be prompted for your name (UCL userID) and password. For certain legacy MAC operating systems you will need to submit 2 print jobs before the pop-up prompt appears.
- Enter your UCL userID (e.g. ucaazzz) into the name field (not the user account of the Mac).
- Enter your password and click on Remember this password in my keychain.
Recommended print settings
- Open the print window in any application e.g. Safari, Word, Acrobat.
- Click Show Details.
Fig 7: Print Window
- Drop down menu where it says Safari (this will be different depending on which application you are printing from) and select Printer Features.
Fig 8: Printer Features
- Ensure Xerox Black and White is set to On
Fig 9: Printer Features – Xerox Black and White: On
- Under Feature Sets select Advanced
- When in the Advanced menu change XRBanner Sheet to Off
Fig 10: Feature Sets: Advanced settings
- Click on drop down for Presets and select Save Current Settings as Preset.
Fig 11: Save Current Settings as Preset
- Name the preset "Mono Duplex" and select Only this printer.
Fig 12: Preset Name
- Click OK.
Related guides & other info
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact the IT Services.