Add your UCL email account to Thunderbird
How to set up your UCL email with Thunderbird.
This guide is aimed at...
- All UCL users
Before you start...
- You will need your UCL user ID & password – found on the front of your registration slip and must be appended with @ucl.ac.uk (e.g. ucxxzano @ ucl.ac.uk)
- For modern authentication and MFA you will need Thunderbird 78
- For IMAP/SMTP information see Alternative desktop applications
- Open Thunderbird
- If this is the first account you are setting up in Thunderbird, go to step 4. If you are already using Thunderbird for other accounts, go to step 3.
- From the top menu click File > New > Existing Mail Account...
- At the Set Up Your Existing Email Address window enter your details:
Your name: Your name, as shown to others
Email address: Your UCL email address in the format of your userID @ ucl.ac.uk
Password: Your UCL password
- Click Continue
- When the configuration has been found, ensure IMAP (remote folders) is selected and click Done
- At the service integration prompt, click Skip Integration or choose your preferences and click Set as Default
- In the Folder Pane on the left, right-click on your account (displayed as your userID @ ucl.ac.uk) and click Settings
- Click Server Settings
- Under the Security Settings heading, change the Authentication method to OAuth2
- You can now close the Account Settings tab and use Thunderbird
- Outlook Web Access (OWA) how-to guides
- Outlook 2016 how-to guides for Windows
- Outlook 2016 how-to guides for macOS
Help and support
If you require technical assistance, you can contact the IT Services desk.
Please note: Thunderbird is supported on a best effort basis and you are advised to use external third-party forums and support.