Frequently Asked Questions
The Service Desk Portal is an online web based portal that enables customers to log and track their problems and requests for ISD services.
Using an electronic web based form on submittal you will be able to track and monitor the progress of your problem/request from inception through to its resolution.
Benefits of using the portal include:
- Structured forms ensure that all the information required to resolve your ticket is gathered and recorded whilst raising your ticket, meaning fewer delays when resolving the ticket
- Tickets will automatically be assigned to the appropriate support group
- The ability to check the progress of your request by logging in to the portal
The ability to raise tickets 24 hours a day 7 days a week, giving the option to raise tickets outside of normal Service Desk opening hours.
A Service Request is a request from users for a service provided by the Service Desk e.g. advice, information, a routine change, access to an IT service and requests for shared data space.
Problems are events which are not part of the standard operation of a service and that cause, or may cause, an interruption or a reduction of the quality of the service. Examples of problems are:
- Printer broken
- An application crashes/is un-responsive
- Managed PC is faulty
- Loss of email or network access
Ticket is a term used to describe both Service Requests and Problems that have been raised with the Service Desk. Each Ticket has a reference number for tracking.
If you do not know your UCL userid or your password, or if you know them but they are not working, then the easiest way to retrieve the details is to use the self-service tools on the MyAccount site:
If you are unable to retrieve your details using MyAccount, or if you do not have a UCL computer account, then you will need to contact the ISD Service Desk.
See: ISD Service Desk
To log out of the Portal, select the 'Logout' link in the top right corner of
You will receive a notification informing you that your ticket has been submitted to the ISD Service Desk.
Your ticket will be automatically assigned to the appropriate support group to fulfil your request. The support group will deal with your request as quickly as possible.
Log in to the ISD Service Desk Portal and select the 'Open Requests' link.
You will be presented with a list of all open tickets that you have logged with ISD.
To view the status of a ticket, double-click the ticket.
You can view your closed
tickets by changing the 'Show' filter. Select 'Closed Requests' from the dropdown menu. A list of all of your closed tickets will appear.
As your problem/request goes through its lifecycle, the status will change. The status types are defined below:
- Assigned - means your problem/request has been logged with the ISD Service Desk and assigned to be actioned.
- In-Progress - means your problem/request has been assigned to an individual within ISD and work has commenced to investigate, diagnose and resolve.
- Completed - means your problem/request has been resolved.
- Pending - means your problem/request is on-hold. For example,
awaiting further information, escalated to a 3rd party for further
analysis, diagnosis. In all cases where this status has been used, the
'Activity Log' will be updated to reflect.
- Re-opened - this status is allocated where your problem/request has been marked as 'Resolved' and has been re-opened for further investigation/diagnosis. This status will indicate that a ticket has not been resolved to the customers satisfaction. For example, the problem still exists and requires further investigation.
You will be sent updates to your UCL email account when your ticket is
Additionally, you may be contacted at any stage by email or telephone (if a telephone number is available), for example to verify the details of your request, or to verify the resolution of a problem.
Please use the existing 'report a problem/request' form only.
Initially the portal only contains a single form which you can use for any of our services, but we are developing a range of specific service request forms which will be released shortly.
Broadcast Messages are a way for ISD to
communicate with people logging in to the Service Desk portal, for example to
provide information about ISD Services. We are not currently using this
feature, but in the future this will be used for communicating service
information. For the time being, we will continue to post service information
on to the ISD News page
See: ISD News
We recommend using the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer (version 7 or later) although 6 is also supported.
- Firefox (version 3.5 or later)
- Safari (3.2.3 or later)
Although the primary browsers we support are Firefox and Internet Explorer.
1. 'Chrome' is not currently supported.
2. Mobile device and tablets are not currently supported. However, we will be looking at providing this capability within the future. You may use an Ipad device, please note however that you may experience format related issues.
Please make sure you allow pop-ups on our supported browsers.
In additional, where you are using IE8 and above, please select 'Compatibility View' on your browser menu bar.
This feature will correct issues for websites designed for older browsers. For example, display issues, out-of-place menus, images or text.