- Regulation of angiogenesis and vascular permeability.
- Regulation of neuronal development and regeneration.
- Roles of neural crest cells in heart and great vessel formation.
- Roles of macrophages in physiological and pathological angiogenesis.
- Relationship of angiogenesis and neurogenesis.
- Identifying vascular cell lineage origins.
- VEGF forms gradients that guide angiogenesis in developing organs.
- Macrophages help blood vessel sprouts to fuse into perfused circuits.
- Dual NRP1 role in VEGF and matrix signalling for retina angiogenesis.
- VEGF signals through NRP1 for proper neuronal migration and survival.
- VEGF signals through NRP1 to guide axons for stereo vision.
- Neural crest cells secrete VEGF to instruct arteriogenesis for jaw growth.
- Neural crest cells secrete SEMA3C to instruct cardiac outflow tract septation into the base of the aorta and pulmonary artery.
- Defective SEMA3A signalling compromises puberty.
- Erythromyeloid progenitors give rise to endothelial cells for organ vascularisation.
Prizes and awards
- Judah Folkman Award (2018, NAVBO)
- Cheryll Tickle Medal (2018, BSDB)
- Investigator Award (2016; Wellcome Trust)
- Academic Role Model (2013; UCL School of Life and Medical Sciences)
- Junior Investigator Award (2011; Wellcome Trust)
- Career Development Award (2003-2007; MRC)
- Werner-Risau-Prize (2003; German Society for Cell Biology)
- Young Cell Biologist of the Year (1996; British Society for Cell Biology)
Protocols and resources
Our lab has deposited plasmids at Addgene for distribution to the research community. Addgene is a non-profit plasmid repository dedicated to improving life science research.
James Bainbridge, Steve Wilson
Anne Eichmann, Michael Simons