Do you still have difficulty using your arm after a stroke?
If you or a relative have suffered a stroke and still have problems using your arm, then you might be interested in this NHS service at The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN), Queen Square.
The multidisciplinary service is run by Dr Nick Ward (Consultant Neurologist), Fran Brander (Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist), and Kate Kelly (Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist) with expertise in assessing and treating upper limb problems.
In the clinic, we offer advice on the management of patients with neurological upper limb
deficits secondary to central nervous system disease. We are particularly
interested to see stroke survivors who might benefit from more intense
treatment of upper limb deficits, especially early after stroke.
The service offers the following:
- A detailed upper limb focussed assessment and report.
- A thorough discussion of goals and prognosis.
- Advice on symptom management.
- When appropriate we will suggest further intensive in-patient treatment (involving at least 4 hours therapy per day) as part of a 3 week programme at Queen Square.
- Alternatively, referral to out-patient physio- and occupational therapy for further specific treatment based on our detailed assessment will be made.
- Where required, we will make referrals to other NHNN services (e.g. spasticity assessment clinic, upper limb Functional Electrical Stimulation clinic, specialist vocational rehabilitation clinic, orthotics clinic).
- We will liaise closely with local outpatient and community services where appropriate.
- Patients will have access to ongoing clinical trials of upper limb treatment where appropriate.
- In all cases we will advise on how to achieve long term self-management where able.
The service is available to all patients over 16 years of age with a confirmed stroke or other central nervous system diagnosis. Referrals are accepted from GPs or other consultants.
If you or your relative have suffered from a stroke and would like to be referred, please ask your GP to send a brief clinical summary and reason for the referral.
Referrals should be sent to:
Dr Nick Ward
Reader in Clinical Neurology & Honorary Consultant Neurologist
The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (Box 146)
Queen Square, WC1N 3BG
For further information or advice regarding referrals please contact:
Fran Brander (Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist)
Kate Kelly (Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist)
Therapy & Rehabilitation Services, Box 113, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG