Establishing and applying imaging methods and biomarkers to transform the diagnosis, management and treatment of neurological and neurosurgical diseases
- Professor Xavier Golay
- Professor Frederik Barkhof
- Professor Hans Rolf Jäger
- Dr David Thomas
- Dr John Thornton
- Dr Sotirios Bisdas
- Research involving imaging method development and patient-cohort imaging studies covers a wide range of neurological and neurosurgical diseases, including neurovascular disorders, neurooncology, neurodegeneration and Neuroinflammation, as well muscle and peripheral nerves (neuromuscular) disorders. Our aim is to facilitate rapid translation of innovations, including intraoperative imaging, into the clinical environment.
Funded Research Projects
- Secondary prevention of Alzheimer’s disease. Funded by the EU
- GLINT: GlucoCEST imaging of neoplastic tumours. Funding from EC-H2020.
- A gold standard perfusion phantom for quantitative MRI. Funded by SBRI NHS England.
- High dose Simvastatin treatment for secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: impact on vascular perfusion and oxidative damage. Funded by the MS Society of GB & NI
- Feasibility of microstructural and metabolic MRI fingerprinting of human gliomas. Funded by the NIHR BRC
- Multi-centre optimization and harmonization of MRI image acquisition schemes: a UK-wide coordinated approach to advanced neuroimaging in dementia. Funded by Alzheimer’s Research UK
- Multi-user ultra-high field clinical imaging research centre for London. Funded by the Wellcome Trust
- Non-Invasive Imaging of glymphatic clearance: a novel strategy for the early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. Funded by EPSRC.
- Imaging research to facilitate treatments for multiple sclerosis MS Society of GB
- MRC centre for Neuromuscular disease, MRC
- MYO-MRI COST Action- BM1304
- Recent publications from Neuroradiology
Cortese R, Magnollay L, Tur Gomez C, Abdel-Aziz K, Jacob A, De Angelis F, Yiannakas MC, Prados Carrasco F, Ourselin S, Yousry T et al. The value of the central vein sign at 3T to differentiate MS from seropositive-NMOSD. Neurology, online 31 December 2017.
Al-Hajri A, Al-Mughairi S, Somani A, An S, Liu J, Miserocchi A, McEvoy AW, Yousry T, Hoskote C, Thom M. Pathology-MRI correlations in diffuse low-grade epilepsy associated tumors. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 2017; 76(12):1023-1033. DOI: 10.1093/jnen/nlx090
Sudre CH, Anson BG, Davagnanam I, Schmitt A, Mendelson AF, Prados F, Smith L, Atkinson D, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N et al. Bullseye's representation of cerebral white matter hyperintensities. Journal of Neuroradiology, online 11 November 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.neurad.2017.10.001
Fox TA, Jager R, Ardeshna KM. Cerebrospinal fluid leak after bone marrow biopsy. British Journal of Haematology. Online 19 October 2017. DOI: 10.1111/bjh.14963
Breitkopf M, Bisdas S, Liebsch M, Behling F, Bender B, Tatagiba M, Roder C. Safety, utility and clinical results of continuous intraoperative electrophysiologic monitoring in 1.5T iMRI-guided surgery. World Neurosurgery 2017; 106:198-205. DOI: 10.1016/j.wneu.2017.06.054
Akram H, Wu C, Hyam J, Foltynie T, Limousin P, De Vita E, Yousry T, Jahanshahi M, Hariz M, Behrens T et al. L-Dopa responsiveness is associated with distinctive connectivity patterns in advanced Parkinson’s Disease. Movement Disorders 2017; 32(6):874-883 doi: 10.1002/mds.27017. Epub 2017 May 8.
Skardelly M, Dangel E, Gohde J, Noell S, Behling F, Lepski G, Borchers C, Koch M, Schittenhelm J, Bisdas S, Naumann A, Paulsen F, Zips D, von Hehn U, Ritz R, Tatagiba MS, Tabatabai G. Prolonged Temozolomide maintenance therapy in newly diagnosed glioblastoma. Oncologist, online 30 March 2017 doi: 10.1634/theoncologist.2016-0347. Epub 2017 Mar 30.
Gold R, Arnold DL, Bar-Or A, Hutchinson M, Kappos L, Havrdova E, MacManus DG, Yousry TA et al. Long-term effects of delayed-release dimethyl fumarate in multiple sclerosis: Interim analysis of ENDORSE, a randomized extension study. Multiple Sclerosis Journal 2017 Feb;23(2):253-265 doi: 10.1177/1352458516649037. Epub 2016 Jul 11.
Mok T, Jaunmuktane Z, Joiner S, Campbell T, Morgan C, Wakerley B, Golestani F, Rudge P, Mead S, Jäger HR, Wadsworth JD, Brandner S, Collinge J. Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease in a Patient with Heterozygosity at PRNP Codon 129. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jan 19;376(3):292-294 doi: 10.1056/NEJMc1610003.
Damjanovic D, Valsasina P, Rocca MA, Stromillo ML, Gallo A, Enzinger C, Hulst HE, Rovira A, Muhlert N, De Stefano N et al. Hippocampal and deep gray matter nuclei atrophy is relevant for explaining cognitive impairment in MS: A multicentre study. AJNR American Journal of Neuroradiology, 2017 Jan;38(1):18-24. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A4952. Epub 2016 Sep 29.
Tentolouris-Piperas V, Ryan NS, Thomas DL, Kinnunen KM. Brain imaging evidence of early involvement of subcortical regions in familial and sporadic Alzheimer's disease. Brain Research 2017; 1655:23-32 doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2016.11.011. Epub 2016 Nov 12.doi: 10.1016/j.ejpn.2016.06.001. Epub 2016 Jun 20.
Thornton JS. Technical challenges and safety of magnetic resonance imaging with in situ neuromodulation from spine to brain. Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2017 Jan;21(1):232-241 doi: 10.1016/j.ejpn.2016.06.001. Epub 2016 Jun 20.
Zarkali A, Gorgoraptis N, Miller R, John L, Merve A, Thust S, Jager R, Kullmann D, Swayne O. CD8+ encephalitis: a severe but treatable HIV-related acute encephalopathy. Pract Neurol. 2017 Jan;17(1):42-46 doi: 10.1136/practneurol-2016-001483. Epub 2016 Nov 1.
Massey LA, Miranda MA, Al-Helli O, Parkes HG, Thornton JS, So PW, White MJ, Mancini L, Strand C, Holton J et al. 9.4 MR microscopy of the substantia nigra with pathological validation in controls and disease. NeuroImage: Clinical 2016: 13:154-163 eCollection 2017.
Desai RA, Davies AL, Tachrount M, Kasti M, Laulund F, Golay X, Smith KJ. Cause and prevention of demyelination in a model multiple sclerosis lesion. Annals of Neurology 2016; 79(4):591-604 doi: 10.1002/ana.24607. Epub 2016 Feb 22.
De Vita E, Ridgway GR, White MJ, Porter MC, Caine D, Rudge P, Collinge J, Yousry TA, Jager HR, Mead S, Thornton JS, Hyare H. Neuroanatomical correlates of prion disease progression - a 3T longitudinal voxel-based morphometry study. NeuroImage Clinical 2016 Nov 2;13:89-96. eCollection 2017
- Clinical services
- Academic enquiries
- Study at Institute of Neurology
- Neuroradiology & Functional Neuroanatomy : annual course
* Tentolouris-Piperas et al (2017). Brain imaging evidence of early involvement of subcortical regions in familial and sporadic Alzheimer's disease. Brain Research Volume 1655, 15 January 2017, Pages 23-32. doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2016.11.011