Researching headache and facial pain pathophysiology, diagnosis and therapeutics
Lead: Dr Manjit Matharu
- To understand the underlying mechanisms of headache and facial pain disorders
- To understand the genetic basis of headache and facial pain disorder
- To define the clinical spectrum of headache and facial pain disorders, systematically studying their clinical phenotypes, and thereby improve the classification of these disorders
- To develop a self-management programme for chronic headache disorders
- To advance therapeutics by conducting controlled trials in headache and facial pain syndromes
- To develop and improve innovative surgical and neuromodulatory treatments for headache and facial pain disorders
Funded Research Projects
- Chronic Headache Education and Self-Management Study (CHESS). Collaborative study with Warwick University. Funded by National Institute of Health Research (NIHR)
- Cluster Headache Genome Wide Association Study (GWAS). Funded by Brain Research Trust
- Synaptopathies Study. Funded by Wellcome Trust
- Occipital Nerve Stimulation in Primary Headache Syndromes. Funded by St Jude Medical
- Nasal Cavity Cooling for the symptomatic relief of migraine (BrainCool-Migraine) study. Collaborative study with Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. Funded by BrainCool AB
- Recent publications from Headache and Facial Pain
Akram H, Matharu M, Zrinzo L. Optimal deep brain stimulation site and target connectivity for chronic cluster headache-author response. Neurology 2018; 91(4):194.
Davies PTG, Lane RJM, Astbury T, Fontebasso M, Murphy J, Matharu M. The long and winding road: the journey taken by headache sufferers in search of help. Primary Health Care Research and Development 2018 online.
Skljarevski V, Matharu M, Millen BA, Ossipov MH, Kim BK, Yang JY. Efficacy and safety of galcanezumab for the prevention of episodic migraine: results of the EVOLVE-2 Phase 3 randomized controlled clinical trial. Cephalalgia 2018; 38(8): 1442-1454.
Crespi J, Bratbak D, Dodick D, Matharu M, Jamtøy KA, Aschehoug I, Tronvik E. Measurement and implications of the distance between the sphenopalatine ganglion and nasal mucosa: a neuroimaging study. The Journal of Headache and Pain 2018; 19(1):14.
Matharu MS, Miller S, Lagrata S, Watkins L. Occipital nerve stimulation for medically refractory chronic paroxysmal hemicrania. Headache 2017; 57(10):1610-1613. DOI: 10.1111/head.13187
Akram H, Miller S, Lagrata S, Hariz M, Ashburner J, Behrens T, Matharu M, Zrinzo L. Optimal deep brain stimulation site and target connectivity for chronic cluster headache. Neurology 2017; 89(20): 2083-2091. DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000004646
Hassan S, Lagrata S, Levy A, Matharu M, Zrinzo L. Microvascular decompression or neuromodulation in patients with SUNCT and trigeminal neurovascular conflict? Cephalalgia, online 4 October 2017. DOI:10.1177/0333102417735847
Probyn K, Bowers H, Mistry D, Caldwell F, Underwood M, Patel S, et al. Non-pharmacological self-management for people living with migraine or tension-type headache: a systematic review including analysis of intervention components. BMJ Open. 2017;7(8):e016670. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016670.
Matharu M, Pascual J, Nilsson Remahl I, Straube A, Lum A, Davar G, Odom D, Bennett L, Proctor C, Gutierrez L et al. Utilization and safety of onabotulinumtoxinA for the prophylactic treatment of chronic migraine from an observational study in Europe. Cephalalgia: an international journal of headache online 31 July 2017 doi: 10.1177/0333102417724150. [Epub ahead of print]
Matharu M, Halker R, Pozo-Rosich P, DeGryse R, Manack Adams A, Aurora SK. The impact of onabotulinumtoxinA on severe headache days: PREEMPT 56-week pooled analysis. The Journal of Headache and Pain 2017; 18(1):78 doi: 10.1186/s10194-017-0784-4. Epub 2017 Aug 1.
Miller S, Watkins L, Matharu M. Long-term follow up of intractable chronic short lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache disorders treated with occipital nerve stimulation. Cephalalgia: an international journal of headache, online 14 July 2017 doi: 10.1177/0333102417721716. [Epub ahead of print]
Miller S, Matharu M. Non-invasive neuromodulation in primary headaches. Current Pain and Headache Reports 2017; 21(3) doi: 10.1007/s11916-017-0608-x.
Miller S, Watkins L, Matharu MS. Treatment of intractable hemicrania continua by occipital nerve stimulation. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, online 2 March 2017 doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2017-315747. Epub 2017 Mar 2.
Miller S, Watkins L, Matharu M. Treatment of intractable chronic cluster headache by occipital nerve stimulation: a cohort of 51 patients. European Journal of Neurology, online 1 February 2017 doi: 10.1111/ene.13215. Epub 2016 Dec 20.
Abu Bakar N, Torkamani M, Tanprawate S, Lambru G, Matharu M, Jahanshahi M. The development and validation of the Cluster Headache Quality of life scale (CHQ). J Headache Pain. 2016 Dec;17(1):79. doi: 10.1186/s10194-016-0674-1. Epub 2016 Sep 5.
Miller S, Akram H, Lagrata S, Hariz M, Zrinzo L, Matharu M. Ventral tegmental area deep brain stimulation in refractory short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks. Brain. 2016 Oct;139(Pt 10):2631-2640. doi:10.1093/brain/aww204
Miller S, Sinclair AJ, Davies B, Matharu M. Neurostimulation in the treatment of primary headaches. Pract Neurol. 2016 Oct;16(5):362-75. doi: 10.1136/practneurol-2015-001298. Epub 2016 May 5. doi: 10.1136/practneurol-2015-001298. Epub 2016 May 5.
Miller S, Watkins L, Matharu M. Long-term outcomes of occipital nerve stimulation for chronic migraine: a cohort of 53 patients. J Headache Pain. 2016 Dec;17(1):68. doi: 10.1186/s10194-016-0659-0. Epub 2016 Jul 30.