EndNote is a software package that allows you to collect and manage citations and to generate formatted bibliographies in a range of styles (including classic styles like Harvard & Vancouver). Similar tools (e.g. mendeley) are also available but the level of support offered at UCL is more limited.
- A printable guide (PDF) from UCL Library Services.
- A YouTube channel of videos from Clarivate (the company who make EndNote)
Training & Support
Staff & students based at Queen Square
The Queen Square Library offers EndNote support and training for staff and students from UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology (ION) and staff from the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN). Visit our training calendar for details of the monthly 'Introduction to EndNote' course.
Staff & students based at other sites
Please contact your dedicated subject librarian.
Other sources of EndNote support:
Clarivate, the makers of EndNote, offer online support, including software patches & upgrades.
How to obtain EndNote
Use on a UCL-owned computer - UCL staff may download the desktop version of EndNote from the UCL software database but it can ONLY be installed on a UCL-owned computer and in accordance with UCL's licences (license details are recorded in the software database). UCL students can access EndNote on cluster-room computers.
Use on a home/personal computer - options for using EndNote at home:
- Connect remotely - UCL staff can connect remotely to their UCL desktop PC (contact the IT support team to find out how to do this). UCL students can use EndNote via Desktop@UCL Anywhere.
- Use the web version - anyone can access the online version of EndNote for free but note that the online version offers only basic functionality which might make it less useful for advanced users. The online version can be used on its own or in combination with the desktop version (e.g. use the desktop version at College and sync with the online version for home use.
- Buy a copy - UCL staff and students need to buy a personal license to install the software on a personal computer - student pricing is available.
UCLH has not purchased an EndNote license and UCLH staff will therefore need to purchase a license from the EndNote website.
An alternative is to use the online version of EndNote for free (though note that it has reduced functionality). UCLH staff who register with UCL libraries can access an enhanced version of EndNote online as part of the UCL license. To do this:
- use a UCL walk-in computer (in the library);
- open the database Web of Science (please ask for help if you are not sure how to do this);
- within Web of Science, click EndNote at the top of the screen and then register (via the link on the right);
- when you have registered, use http://my.endnote.com from any computer;
- remember to refresh the enhanced access each year by logging in again from a UCL Library walk-in computer.