Headache and Facial Pain
Researching headache and facial pain pathophysiology, diagnosis and therapeutics
Lead: Dr Manjit Matharu
- To understand the underlying mechanisms of headache and facial pain disorders
- To understand the genetic basis of headache and facial pain disorder
- To define the clinical spectrum of headache and facial pain disorders, systematically studying their clinical phenotypes, and thereby improve the classification of these disorders
- To develop a self-management programme for chronic headache disorders
- To advance therapeutics by conducting controlled trials in headache and facial pain syndromes
- To develop and improve innovative surgical and neuromodulatory treatments for headache and facial pain disorders
Funded Research Projects
- Chronic Headache Education and Self-Management Study (CHESS). Collaborative study with Warwick University. Funded by National Institute of Health Research (NIHR)
- Cluster Headache Genome Wide Association Study (GWAS). Funded by Brain Research Trust
- Synaptopathies Study. Funded by Wellcome Trust
- Occipital Nerve Stimulation in Primary Headache Syndromes. Funded by St Jude Medical
- Nasal Cavity Cooling for the symptomatic relief of migraine (BrainCool-Migraine) study. Collaborative study with Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. Funded by BrainCool AB
- Recent publications from Headache and Facial Pain
Probyn K, Bowers H, Mistry D, Caldwell F, Underwood M, Patel S, et al. Non-pharmacological self-management for people living with migraine or tension-type headache: a systematic review including analysis of intervention components. BMJ Open. 2017;7(8):e016670. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016670.
Matharu M, Pascual J, Nilsson Remahl I, Straube A, Lum A, Davar G, Odom D, Bennett L, Proctor C, Gutierrez L et al. Utilization and safety of onabotulinumtoxinA for the prophylactic treatment of chronic migraine from an observational study in Europe. Cephalalgia: an international journal of headache online 31 July 2017 doi: 10.1177/0333102417724150. [Epub ahead of print]
Matharu M, Halker R, Pozo-Rosich P, DeGryse R, Manack Adams A, Aurora SK. The impact of onabotulinumtoxinA on severe headache days: PREEMPT 56-week pooled analysis. The Journal of Headache and Pain 2017; 18(1):78 doi: 10.1186/s10194-017-0784-4. Epub 2017 Aug 1.
Miller S, Watkins L, Matharu M. Long-term follow up of intractable chronic short lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache disorders treated with occipital nerve stimulation. Cephalalgia: an international journal of headache, online 14 July 2017 doi: 10.1177/0333102417721716. [Epub ahead of print]
Miller S, Matharu M. Non-invasive neuromodulation in primary headaches. Current Pain and Headache Reports 2017; 21(3) doi: 10.1007/s11916-017-0608-x.
Miller S, Watkins L, Matharu MS. Treatment of intractable hemicrania continua by occipital nerve stimulation. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, online 2 March 2017 doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2017-315747. Epub 2017 Mar 2.
Miller S, Watkins L, Matharu M. Treatment of intractable chronic cluster headache by occipital nerve stimulation: a cohort of 51 patients. European Journal of Neurology, online 1 February 2017 doi: 10.1111/ene.13215. Epub 2016 Dec 20.
Abu Bakar N, Torkamani M, Tanprawate S, Lambru G, Matharu M, Jahanshahi M. The development and validation of the Cluster Headache Quality of life scale (CHQ). J Headache Pain. 2016 Dec;17(1):79. doi: 10.1186/s10194-016-0674-1. Epub 2016 Sep 5.
Miller S, Akram H, Lagrata S, Hariz M, Zrinzo L, Matharu M. Ventral tegmental area deep brain stimulation in refractory short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks. Brain. 2016 Oct;139(Pt 10):2631-2640. doi:10.1093/brain/aww204
Miller S, Sinclair AJ, Davies B, Matharu M. Neurostimulation in the treatment of primary headaches. Pract Neurol. 2016 Oct;16(5):362-75. doi: 10.1136/practneurol-2015-001298. Epub 2016 May 5. doi: 10.1136/practneurol-2015-001298. Epub 2016 May 5.
Miller S, Watkins L, Matharu M. Long-term outcomes of occipital nerve stimulation for chronic migraine: a cohort of 53 patients. J Headache Pain. 2016 Dec;17(1):68. doi: 10.1186/s10194-016-0659-0. Epub 2016 Jul 30.